Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,088   Online: 956

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second the medium format suggestion above for landscape and portrait work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by whowantstoast View Post
    Weight and size not a problem you say? Then leave 35mm behind and go medium format. I bet you could put together a nice Bronica ETRS system in that price range.

The difference in quality between 35mm and a Bronica 645 is HUGE! And, they aren't all that much bigger. I used to shoot all my landscapes with an ETRSi, 40mm, 75mm, and 150mm. Excellent quality and they go cheap. This is easily your best value for both portraits and landscapes. A 35mm can't touch it for quality.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You really can't go wrong with any on your list, depending on your requirements of course. My quick suggestions would be the FM3A, F1 and AE-1, RTS III and G2, and/or the M3, with particular emphasis on the G2. But whowantstoast has a really good point about medium format. And while the Bronica are very nice, Mamiya 645 Pro is just as good and a bit less expensive. The chief drawbacks to medium format are that the film may not be readily available where you live, and 120 processing isn't done at your local drug stores.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon n75 w/28-105 D Nikkor.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon,Canon,Pentax( remember the Spotmatic is a screw mount) are all going to work for you. The German stuff is pretty spendy and might not really be worth the extra dollars at this time. Medium format is definately worth considering. Only arguement against MF is you can not buy and roll your own film like you can with 35mm

Shooter
    Large Format
    24 posts in one day, all on the subject of favorite ways to liberate a guy from his money on a new camera. On the 35mm side of the ledger is a Nikon F2, and on the other side is the Hass 500c, c/m.
    Frankly I don't see any other contenders as worthy of a second of thought. These 2 cameras can still be located at prices that allow the finding of a decent copy. So why consider anything else?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    How important are:
    1. Aperture priority auto exposure
    2. Battery dependance
    3. Viewfinder options
    4. Lens cost/selection

1. I don't really trust, better manual, but can help sometimes.
    2. I prefer without any depenence
    3. No preference
    4. High quality primes.

Thank for all of you for the help. Some of you mentioned Medium Format. It's good to know that I have future plans for Medium Format (Mamiya RZ67 II or Contax 645 maybe Hasselblad), but for now I would like to improve my knownledge on 35mm.
    Do you think it's better to jump right to Medium Format?
    Which of these 35mm has better lens coverage and quality at a reasonable price?
    Again the size and weight of a camera is not important for me, the quality of the machine and my knowledge has a higher priority.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    flajcsi,

Find each of the camera models and hold them. How does each on feel? Is this one too large for my hands? Is that one too small for my hands. How does it feel to make settings, focus, fire the shutter and advance the film. Those questions will tell you more about which camera is best for you than any posts on the internet. A camera is a very personal tool, so get personal with each model before you invest in one.

This only comes from years selling cameras.

Siriusly!

Thank you for these words. I will try this option too, but it's complicated in the next 2 weeks, but holding them and trying, sounds reasonable.

Shooter
    35mm
    yes, trying them in your own hands is mandatory... M42 cameras will offer you a bunch of lenses at decent prices: Pentax, russians, german and rebranded lenses for all the tastes... so i'd suggest Practika, Pentax, Exa.
    If you choose Pentax in K baionet (or Ricoh or other brands) you can always get a ring and use Ks and M42s as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by flajcsi View Post
    1. I don't really trust, better manual, but can help sometimes.
    2. I prefer without any depenence
    3. No preference
    4. High quality primes.
    1. Fujica ST801 - No aperture priority and no battery dependance except for meter only. M42 screw mount lens.
    2. Nikon FM3A - Has aperture priority with batteries but full shutter range available without due to the hybrid shutter mechanism. Newest on the list and likely in better shape. Body alone is most likely out of your price range.
    3. Nikon FM2 T - No aperture priority and no battery dependance except for meter only. Body alone is most likely out of your price range.
    4. Nikon F2 AS - No aperture priority and no battery dependance except for meter only. Body alone is likely out of your price range.
    5. Nikon F3 - Has aperture priority with batteries but limited functionality without. Interchangeable viewfinder and screens.
    6. Canon F1 - No aperture priority and no battery dependance except for meter only. Interchangeable viewfinder and screens.
    7. Canon AE-1 - Has shutter priority and is fully dependent on battery.
    8. Canon A 1 - Has aperture and shutter priority and is fully dependent on battery.
    9. Contax RTS III - Modern SLR without autofocus and is fully dependent on batteries.
    10. Contax G2 - Modern rangefinder with autofocus that is fully dependent on batteries.
    11. Leica M3 - No aperture priority and no battery dependance. Body alone is most likely out of your price range.
    12. Pentax LX - Has aperture priority with batteries but X sync to 1/2000 shutter speeds available without. Full system support. Interchangeable viewfinder and screens. Only camera that can autoexpose for as long as it takes - or batteries drain.
    13. Pentax Spotmatic F - No aperture priority and no battery dependance except for meter only. M42 screw mount lens.

More details from manuals can be found at Butkus Camera Manual Library

Thank for all of you for the help. Some of you mentioned Medium Format. It's good to know that I have future plans for Medium Format (Mamiya RZ67 II or Contax 645 maybe Hasselblad), but for now I would like to improve my knownledge on 35mm.
    Do you think it's better to jump right to Medium Format?
    Which of these 35mm has better lens coverage and quality at a reasonable price?
    Again the size and weight of a camera is not important for me, the quality of the machine and my knowledge has a higher priority.
    Mamiya RZ67 is excellent with exceptional lenses but definitely way out of your price range and is very heavy. 6X7 piece of film is very nice.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin