Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,067   Online: 1220

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    Hear, hear! They had a strong competitor to the Nikon F3 and then sat on their hands. What a shame! For all intents and purposes there was only one model, with minor running changes, the major being an increase in the top ASA from 1600 to 3200.

BTW, I forgot to mention in my earlier post on the LX's faults a glaring omission in its feature set: It has no AE lock, which can be a PITA on occasion.
    No AE lock may be because they think the meter reading may not be right before the exposure so why lock it? The camera would measure the exposure as it is exposing the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I've always heard great things about the LX. Perhaps, it's time to find one.
    I think you would enjoy it. They are amazing little jewels. I should really start shedding cameras, I certainly have more then I need, but I can't imagine working without an LX.

Shooter
    35mm
    KEH has a black FM2N in EX condition for $219. They give you a 6 month warranty on used equipment. This leaves you $$ for some good lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I think you would enjoy it. They are amazing little jewels. I should really start shedding cameras, I certainly have more then I need, but I can't imagine working without an LX.
    STOP! STOP! I am not hearing this! I just got an OM2n because it's an "amazing little jewel". GAS be gone!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get the FM3A. Newest of the bunch, and sounds like a Swiss watch. Loads of Nikon Ai and Ais lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm totally confused...but I would like to stick to the Pentax Lx, Nikon F2, Canon F1.
    This means 3 different lens type or 4.
    Canon - FD, Nikon - F, Pentax - K and M42.
    My goal lenses are a 50 mm, a wide angle and a 135mm tele.
    On which line can I find the best quality/price combo?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by flajcsi View Post
    I'm totally confused...but I would like to stick to the Pentax Lx, Nikon F2, Canon F1.
    This means 3 different lens type or 4.
    Canon - FD, Nikon - F, Pentax - K and M42.
    My goal lenses are a 50 mm, a wide angle and a 135mm tele.
    On which line can I find the best quality/price combo?
    There should be no confusion on your part, just a tough choice on which would be first . . .

Canon - FL & FD, Nikon - F comes in pre-AI, AI, AIS, Pentax - K and M42. BTW, just like Pentax LX has to use an M42 to K mount adapter, there are also M42 adapters for the Nikon and Canon mounts - as well as practically all other mounts. That's why the M42 is also called universal mount as practically every camera manufacturer made M42 lenses or adapters!

I have bought many camera packages that came with the body and three lenses - 50mm, 28mm and 135mm, ready to go. Depending on your location and patience, you can hunt them down locally, auction sites or used stores like KEH. My experience has been that the Canon FL/FD lenses are best bargain, followed by Nikons then Pentax. I am sure this will varies by region. The desirable lenses from each continue to be high priced but each had bargain priced lenses - but still excellent performers.

Obviously, the LX could be the newest of the group and is the only one with aperture priority capability as well as TTL flash if those are must have features to you. Every camera lens mount has excellent prime lenses. Depending on how old, they have improved lens coating. But of course buying used, you have to consider that the equipment may not be in factory condition so be sure you have a return option, warranty or that it is cheap enough that you don't care.

Link to Pentax LX -> http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...axlx/index.htm
    Link to Nikon F2 -> http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...onf2/index.htm

BTW, which Canon F-1?
    Link to Canon F-1 -> http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...onf1/index.htm
    Link to Canon New F-1 -> http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nf1n/index.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    The Canon New F-1 how dependent is regarding the batteries?

Shooter
    35mm
    The Canon New F-1 and LX - as well as the Nikon F3 were released at about the same time. Here is a rundown of features between the F-1 and LX:
    1. No doubt both have substantial build quality but the LX was more weatherproof.
    2. The F1 has spot meter option using specific screens while the LX does not.
    3. The F1 has shutter priority when used with the motordrive while the LX does not.
    4. The LX has MLU (mirror lock up) while the F1 does not.
    5. The F1 has a viewfinder blind while the LX does not need it.
    6. F1 film speed to 6400 while the LX to 3200.
    7. X Sync for the F1 is 1/90 while the LX is 1/75.
    8. F1 finder is 97% coverage at 0.8X magnification.
    9. LX finder is 98%V and 95%H coverage at >0.9X magnification.
    10. Both have the same range of shutter speeds available in manual mode when batteries die but the F1 battery has to be physically removed for it to work.
    11. The F1's timer is battery dependent while LX self timer is mechanical.
    12. The LX has forward and backward frame accurate indexing so you can go back and multiexpose any frame with perfect registration.
    13. The F1's multiexposure is the traditional "universal manual" method with no guarantee of perfect registration.
    14. The LX has TTL OTF flash while the F1 does not.
    15. The F1 can aperture priority autoexpose to a maximum of 30 seconds.
    16. The LX can aperture priority auto expose for as long as it takes to achieve a proper exposure or batteries die. This can be hours long.

Unless any of these features are compelling, they are both very capable. You may want to just keep an eye on the best deal you can find as they are likely going to push you over the price range that you have set.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know why, but I prefer F3 to F1. F3 is a culmination of Nikon's decades of excellence. F1 is a learning experience for Canon.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin