Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,609   Online: 1129

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Goofy flash question

I just picked up a Nikon F5 and have no flash (or cash) other than an older Canon Speedlite 199. Any chance it'll work in manual mode or will it fry delicate electronics?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    web info indicates that sync voltage shouldn't be a problem for that unit. If you want/need TTL flash, it's really quite good with the F5, so you should maybe look around for an SB-24/5/6/8. I think the 25 and up use the "3D" gimick with D lenses, I only have 24's, so I guess I don't really know what that would add, no complaints here- it fills all my flash needs (pun intended).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A generic flash like a vivitar 285 is a good choice. No ttl metering though. The f stop calculator is pretty good. Guide number calculator is good too.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    After buying the F5 and some glass I'm kinda short on cash for awhile. Just wondering if the flash I actually have will work manually w/o hurting the camera or not. I'll be picking up an SB-28 for the F5 when I have cash again.

Shooter
    35mm
    In general, the Canon Speedlite 199 should work. That flash has a non-TTL mode. The question is more what the other pins than the main, central connector, will communicate to the camera. Nothing intelligible I'm sure! You should be able to use it fine in manual mode. If you are at all worried, cover up the other pins so they can't make contact. I expect they won't do anything.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have tried the 199a on my F5 it works fine. I don't have the flash anymore I gave it away.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin