Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,377   Online: 815

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikon's Greatest Ad circa 1987 ?

Why don't camera manufacturers create great ads anymore?
    Is it the Internet?
    Lack of creativity?

As an ex-advertising guy (Minolta, Yashica, Cosina, Petri), I still take notice of the most creative camera ads, those that compel you to run down to your local camera shop to play with the newest goodies.

Alas, nowadays, there are very few local camera shops and very few of these great ads.

Here, for your viewing pleasure, the introductory ad for the Nikon N4004 in 1987.
    There's only one problem: the camera is pictured 'way too large.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon Stooge and Einstein.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That was great!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Possibly the target market are better found by marketing elsewhere than magazines (eg fancy YouTube "docu-marketing-metaries" and other media, Twitter, FB, etc). I bought my wife a modern camera and found "marketing" all over when doing a simple google of what I'd possibly find her....can't say their quality was bad marketing either...
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great Ad. I had one of those cameras years back. Wonder where it went to, hmmm...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    Those two fellows were small persons, the one on the left having been slapped down over the years and the other guy -- well according to him everything is relative anyway.
    I think the guy on the left did most of the slapping. He really put the "slap" into "slapstick comedy."

I read his autobiography in the 1990s. He had an interesting story. Moe had a great arm -- and aim -- and threw nearly every pie in those shorts that he and other "stooges" made.

Here's Moe demonstrating his pie throwing technique on the Mike Douglas show.
    Last edited by elekm; 05-29-2013 at 11:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a wonderful ad. It would certainly get me to read the copy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just pick up any of the glossy photo magazines - they're chock full o' ads. I have more trouble finding actual content. Trouble is, as a fellow advertising guy, the ads aren't clever any more. They're very technical, and they cater to digital gas.

Shooter
    35mm
    It seems to me that cameras these days are advertised primarily with the "this one goes to 11" mentality in mind. It's not clever at all.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Nikon N4004s was my first 35mm camera. Cool ad.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think there was more creativity back then.

Certainly more humor.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin