Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,386   Online: 708

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Look at the film counter, give the rewind crank a few turns, see if the advance will wind
    Windows are nice, but not necessary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Been thar. Done dat!

Rewind the film and get it developed. You will probably only lose a few photographs.

Welcome to the club. If you really want to have screw ups, try large format photography.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, here's the results. 10 shots ruined out of 36. Not too bad I guess. Lesson learned!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's good...

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F FTn, FM2n, Nikomat FT2, Nikkormat FT3 - all blk bodies
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (for DPUG), 28/3.5 H, 35/2 O, 35-135/3.5-4.5 AF, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 SC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS

My FB - My flickr stream

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    OK, here's the results. 10 shots ruined out of 36. Not too bad I guess. Lesson learned!!!
    That's par for the course, no doubt. I am glad for your sake, and the info is useful too.

One of the things you have to watch out for with the manual bodies is that the film leader actually catches. If it doesn't, it will advance the film counter without advancing the film. That is one more reason to wind up the slack on the spool and check that the lever turns when you advance the film. This happened once or twice with me and caused me to lose good opportunities.

I couldn't imagine a much better travel camera than an FM2 with a few small primes. The FM2n I have cost me $15, missing a battery holder. I grafted one from a smashed up F3, and now have a fully functional camera for next to nothing. The guy who sold it to me got it with a lens, and he is shooting D only. So when he bought a lens from me and I asked what else he had, he showed me the lenses and also the FM2n as if he had no idea what it was. When I asked whether he'd sell it, he said just give me $15. I didn't complain . Still looking for that FM3A bargain, though.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's why there are cameras that wind the exposed film into a covered chamber, or wind the film at the start completely onto an open spool and wind exposed film back into the cassette.

Strange enough there seems to be no design with a secured back door lock that only opens when there is no uncoverd film in the film chamber. (This needed to include an overide in case of malfunction).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    That's why there are cameras that wind the exposed film into a covered chamber, or wind the film at the start completely onto an open spool and wind exposed film back into the cassette.

Strange enough there seems to be no design with a secured back door lock that only opens when there is no uncoverd film in the film chamber. (This needed to include an overide in case of malfunction).
    Well, it's only a problem if you want it to be.
    When you load the film, take up the slack with the rewind knob/crank. The rewind will then turn as you advance the film, giving a positive indication that a) there is film in the thing, and b) it is advancing properly. Before opening the back, try the rewind to be certain that the film has either been rewound into the cassete, or is not present. Simple. Too difficult to do this? Get a digicam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    You will probably not make that mistake again. Other mistakes? Probably.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin