Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,866   Online: 885

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    You can buy a FED 1 camera and attach a Leitz 39 lens on it. Finding a reliable old lens and camera body is difficult at ebay. My advise is to you to become a subscriber and send a want to buy ad to APUG. I saw few times a 3c and an elmar goes for 250 dollars here.

My new question is , whats wrong with Mercedes ?

Umut
    Nothing. They get expensive to work on, though.
    I had a '63 220Sb, drove it for a bit and sold it. The fellow who bought it hired me to rebuild the engine, then a few years later he scraped one side against a guardrail. So he bought another one with a tired engine, put the fresh engine in that, and still uses it after almost 20 years. Great cars. But if you want maximum cost/benefit ratio for what is really an appliance, the Japanese cars are the best.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    250 dollars or 120 dollars for Leitz lens and 40 dollar for a FED 1 body is no expensive for a Mercedes Quality. I am not rich to use cheap japanese stuff also . I am not a example but to whom spends energy and Money to photography , as a Porsche , Mercedes , BMW , Leica is the first choice for rangefinder stuff. Someone said to me leica is cheap for what it does.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The lettering on the nameplate makes everything better or worse. You dont want to be in a japanese car in accident but a Mercedes. Thats why someone pay 20 times more Money to Mercedes because they treat their job seriously.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fortunately, we are not going to rely on any photographic gear to pass IIHS collision testing . . .

I have tested all my Pentax manual focus prime lenses - all bought used, using Kodak Techpan shot at ISO25 and processed in Technidol and they are all excellent performers. Of course if they were factory fresh they would be even better. In any case, they will not be the weak link in your system particularly if you don't use equally resolving film, used impeccable technique and shot a scene in ideal conditions.

Actually, I have also started all my other original equipment manual focus prime lenses - Canon, Konica, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus and Yashica, and they all appear to be equally excellent performers to the point that they are unlikely to be the weak link in a system.

However, I support capitalism and I say spend your money as you see fit!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    The lettering on the nameplate makes everything better or worse. You dont want to be in a japanese car in accident but a Mercedes. Thats why someone pay 20 times more Money to Mercedes because they treat their job seriously.
    And Toyota is not serious about building cars? While you can pay a few hundred dollars and get a fine Leica lens, and a shitty Fed camera body (Lada, anyone?), you can get a stellar Pentax lens for much less than that.

I also claim that Toyota make cars of equal quality to Mercedes. You just don't get as much luxury, and they cost less to drive and repair.
    To get a Merc at the same price as a Toyota you have to buy an old one, and while that may be an OK deal for those who can afford the repair work, a new Toyota is going to be bullet proof.

You are right, Mustafa, the Leica lens is the Mercedes. Maybe 99% of the population doesn't need those extra line pairs of resolution in order to make fine photographs.
    My Spotmatic is just as enjoyable as the Leica M2. And it's MUCH less expensive to have serviced.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    My Spotmatic is just as enjoyable as the Leica M2. And it's MUCH less expensive to have serviced.
    +1 - My Spottie takes great images. So do my Leica's. Very, very tough to see the difference between the two when the picture is hanging on the wall. Excellent cameras, excellent lenses, but I never had to pay $300 to have shutter curtains replaced in the Spotmatic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We all do buy some thing that are overpriced - simply because we can and we feel good about it. How many here have an iphone ? Cheaper samsung or nokia will also do the job. I think if you can afford it and you are serious about 35mm photography - you should buy at least one Leitz lens in your life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    We all do buy some thing that are overpriced - simply because we can and we feel good about it. How many here have an iphone ? Cheaper samsung or nokia will also do the job. I think if you can afford it and you are serious about 35mm photography - you should buy at least one Leitz lens in your life.
    I have an iPhone, because it comes nearly free with a subscription to a data plan. That is here in the US.

Once in a lifetime buy a Leitz lens? Please expand on why you think that is important. What does it add to a photographer's life that they can't be without?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once in a lifetime buy a Leitz lens? Please expand on why you think that is important. What does it add to a photographer's life that they can't be without?
    Well - I will try to explain why, and what influenced me on buying Leitz lens. I was using nikon F3 and some cheap but good rangefinders, and always reading a lot of emotional reactions from those Leica users. I knew it that it will not make me better photographer, but I wanted to feel and test those camera/lenses by myself. This amount of emotions must count for something, I was thinking.

The amount of history connected to Leica also pushed me a little. To be part of this history will maybe give you additional push in your photography: maybe yes, maybe no, but you will not know until you try it.
    Leica has such huge repertoire of lenses - and many lenses are so unique that those results can not be achieved with other lenses.

Final decision for buying Leica was simple facts that you can sell it for same money if you don't like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an iPhone, because it comes nearly free with a subscription to a data plan. That is here in the US.
    Same data plan here in Germany: Samsung/nokia vs iphone: after 2 years of subscription you will pay 700 euros more.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin