Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,272   Online: 1024

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My hovercraft is full of eels!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    My reason for asking the question in the first place was because I saw a very interesting 28mm F1.9 Voigtlander lens that was listed as Leica Screwmount (M42). I then thought to myself "oh wow! Pentax uses M42 also!" and since I have an M42 to Pentax K adaptor, I thought I'd ask the question.

I do like Pentax lenses for when I use the Pentax system (I'm kind of intermixing Pentax and my main system of Nikon right now) and just wanted to see what other possibilities there are, notably in the fast wide angle arena. I could either fix my Nikon 24mm F2 Ai, see if I can purchase a Pentax 20mm F2.8mm or see what other options there are. But the fast Voigtlander lens caught my eye when I saw it listed at a local camera store. In terms of feasibility, still not entirely sure if mounting a leica screw mount is a feasible.... anyways, we'll see
    As I pointed out at the beginning of this thread, Leica uses a 39mm screwmount. Also, due to difference in the flange-to-filmplane distance, while you may be able to mount an M39 lens on a Pentax, you won't even get close to infinity focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Well, depending on which part of Istanbul he lives in, he may be in Asia!

Its still better than @#!*% Adirondacks or whatever the @#!*% it is !
    And how would you know this, Mustafa?

I've been to Istanbul (and enjoyed it tremendously). Have you been to the Adirondacks?
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 06-05-2013 at 09:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    As I pointed out at the beginning of this thread, Leica uses a 39mm screwmount. Also, due to difference in the flange-to-filmplane distance, while you may be able to mount an M39 lens on a Pentax, you won't even get close to infinity focus.
    Ah got it. I think this whole confusion must've come about as a result of improper listing by this camera shop. Too bad but oh we'll at least it has me thinking about takumar lenses!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Ah got it. I think this whole confusion must've come about as a result of improper listing by this camera shop. Too bad but oh we'll at least it has me thinking about takumar lenses!
    By all means, try the Takumars. I have a friend who swears by them, and going by the results he's shown me they're superb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Some people are very attached to their tools. I have known woodworkers who refused to handle any handsaw but a Disston, though many other saws were as nice. But in some ways the quality of our own work is heavily reliant on our confidence with our tools. In Mustafa's case he is very confident with his Leica cameras and lenses. It would sure be nice to see some of his work.
    Yes indeed, having confidence in your tools is paramount.
    But I find myself asking the question, "are Leicas great because Mustafa likes them, or does Mustafa like them because they are great?".

The endless "Leica is the best and all others are beneath consideration" is very annoying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The endless "Leica is the best and all others are beneath consideration" is very annoying.
    Leica's are the best because they are very expensive. All others are beneath consideration because they aren't as expensive.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Leica's are the best because they are very expensive. All others are beneath consideration because they aren't as expensive.
    We are not worthy.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really want that much more than you want. I lost my job and sold 6 Leicas and remain in to plastic one. As everyone buys their lens after search in galleries and flickr , I invite you to look in to the past experience.

I am not brand holigan , I bought all my Leicas after long journal , annal search in past 70 years.

Dont be offended , I dont intend to break no ones moral , but find a Da Vinci catalog BW or Rembrandt catalog BW , train your eye and look at your M2 results. There are lots of painting tricks at Renaissance , you will start to see what I mean. These guys developed their lenses with intention of owning classical art.

How can I make you believe Da Vinci is better than the fake one ? I am not trained as art teacher and I dont know to manage a pedagogy.
    Its up to you , I spend countless hours when viewing single Da Vinci painting.

But image processing experiments opens lots of Gates to understanding the terms.

As steel makes a better engine than aluminum , a Leica makes you a better artist. It holds the image to upper class.

I suspect its about nonlinear distribution of high frequency noise.

Every lens does it in some way but Leica puts the noise where the detail is needed , a muscle ,bone , vain , shadow etc.

And the histogram is matchless , it gives the most punch.

Colors are elegant and classy like difference between chinese oil paint and Dutch Rembradt paint.

Color degrades are most elegant , its smooth and reveals the sculpture in 2D.

I can try to explain more if nothing is clear.
    Yes can you please explain more? I'm starting to understand but still not 100%. I have an R9 that gets no use but I'm thinking I should start using it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

As steel makes a better engine than aluminum , a Leica makes you a better artist. It holds the image to upper class.
    Except it doesn't. Aluminum is lighter, and engineers know how to make an aluminum engine strong and tough. Look at F1 engines. They use aluminum and magnesium wherever they can.

The ferric material used for engines blocks is cast iron, not steel.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin