Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,510   Online: 968

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Except it doesn't. Aluminum is lighter, and engineers know how to make an aluminum engine strong and tough. Look at F1 engines. They use aluminum and magnesium wherever they can.

The ferric material used for engines blocks is cast iron, not steel.
    Hey! Stop confusing the debate with facts!

There's a movie in the works called "Steel Leicas", its a movie about a bunch of old APUGers who bond together through their delicate love of the Leica cameras and how those not using Leicas are simply wasting many years, time, film and effort producing crap.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    You dont want to be in a japanese car in accident but a Mercedes.
    Go to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website. Look at the crash test results for Lexus and Mercedes.

www.safercar.gov
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Except it doesn't. Aluminum is lighter, and engineers know how to make an aluminum engine strong and tough. Look at F1 engines. They use aluminum and magnesium wherever they can.

The ferric material used for engines blocks is cast iron, not steel.
    Horses for courses. Cast iron damps vibrations making for a quieter engine, all things being equal. The piston engines used in the B-36 had magnesium crankcases, and owing partly to the fact that they were buried in the wings were prone to catastrophic engine fires. An aluminium cylinder head cools better, owing to it's superior heat transfer, and allows power outputs which would simply not be possible with iron heads - but that same superior heat transfer means a bit more fuel is used to make the same power. I can go on and on, cast iron pistons in diesel engines have superior flame propogation near the piston crown; but can't be used beyond a certain level of thermal stress, where aluminium takes over (even when the pistons are water cooled).
    Any engineering project is an almost endless series of compromises.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website. Look at the crash test results for Lexus and Mercedes.

www.safercar.gov
    Don't forget Saab and Volvo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Hey! Stop confusing the debate with facts!

There's a movie in the works called "Steel Leicas", its a movie about a bunch of old APUGers who bond together through their delicate love of the Leica cameras and how those not using Leicas are simply wasting many years, time, film and effort producing crap.
    Which model Leica did Eddie Weston use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I can go on and on....
    Please do. Way more interesting than than the posts on how nothing but Leicas are garbage. And hey, I have an MP and lovely set of Leica lenses. But think my Contax, Pentax, and Nikon lenses are wonderful too. Just got a Konica Hexar AF....wonder what I'll think of that lens?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    My hovercraft is full of eels!
    Lucky man! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/eel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    We are not worthy.
    Don't be so hard on yourself Thomas ....................... but no, no you aren't.

BTW, have a great time at Photostock. Drink a beer or two for me!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Don't be so hard on yourself Thomas ....................... but no, no you aren't.

BTW, have a great time at Photostock. Drink a beer or two for me!
    I'm disappointed you won't be there, Dinesh. I was looking forward to get DF out of the basement for a while... I will salute you while there, for sure.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Please do. Way more interesting than than the posts on how nothing but Leicas are garbage. And hey, I have an MP and lovely set of Leica lenses. But think my Contax, Pentax, and Nikon lenses are wonderful too. Just got a Konica Hexar AF....wonder what I'll think of that lens?
    Rich, I've had two M3s, a IIIG that was too perfect to use so I sold it, the use of an R3 with 28, 50, 135, and some Angenieux zoom; and a CL with 40 & 90mm lenses. I know what Leitz lenses can do, and as a mechanician who works on things like precision timepieces I appreciate the sheer gorgeousness of Leica construction. But guess what? I look at the slides and negatives I took with the Leicas and while sometimes I can see a difference, the pictures are no better. I use SLRs because they will do things no rangefinder will do. I use Nikon SLRs because I like their features and handling best, the construction is just about impeccable, and the optics are just dandy. The 50/2 Nikkor H, the 105/2.5, and a few others of the pre AI era are world class.
    But.
    When I want grainless enlargements with utterly smooth tonality I reach for the 4x5. When I want a contact print and even smoother tonality I grab the 8x10 and a 100+ year old Dagor.

When I want a small handheld camera with the highest possible quality I take out the Rolleiflex.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin