Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,270   Online: 934

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I'm really confused. Mustafa clearly said a steel Leica would make me better than da Vinci and Rembrandt combined. Now you guys are saying I can keep using my Nikon. I don't know what to believe anymore.
    Definitely do not listen to me!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Horses for courses. Cast iron damps vibrations making for a quieter engine, all things being equal. The piston engines used in the B-36 had magnesium crankcases, and owing partly to the fact that they were buried in the wings were prone to catastrophic engine fires. An aluminium cylinder head cools better, owing to it's superior heat transfer, and allows power outputs which would simply not be possible with iron heads - but that same superior heat transfer means a bit more fuel is used to make the same power. I can go on and on, cast iron pistons in diesel engines have superior flame propogation near the piston crown; but can't be used beyond a certain level of thermal stress, where aluminium takes over (even when the pistons are water cooled).
    Any engineering project is an almost endless series of compromises.
    Correct.
    I was in particular addressing the notion that steel (or cast iron) makes for a better engine. So many engines these days are made out of aluminum because of its lightness, whether for performance or fuel economy. Engineers have resolved the shortcomings of aluminum engines, and they are tough and durable. High-performance motorcycles have had aluminum cases and heads for many decades now, and car makers like Subaru were well ahead of others in producing tough and reliable engines with aluminum heads and cases. The Buick 215 was a great all-aluminum engine but GM had yet not learned how to make them without a high scrap rate. The engine's Olds variant won an F1 championship.

It really comes down to the application and demands to determine what is the best material to use. One notable screw-up I can think of is the aluminum-bore Chevy Vega engine, which had no cylinder liners or coating like Nikasil, just the aluminum of the casting, and which wore rapidly. Then they topped it off with a cast-iron cylinder head. I think some of their engineers must have been on drugs or drunk when they came up with that fiasco.
    Last edited by lxdude; 06-05-2013 at 08:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I'm really confused. Mustafa clearly said a steel Leica would make me better than da Vinci and Rembrandt combined. Now you guys are saying I can keep using my Nikon. I don't know what to believe anymore.
    No, you need a forged (not cast) steel Leica. However, it will only make you better than Cellini.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, good as Leicas are, the cast steel ones will never be as good as the forged ones. Some say the ones made of stainless are just as good, but I keep thinking, "Which will protect me better in an accident?"
    Last edited by lxdude; 06-06-2013 at 12:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Correct.
    The Buick 215 was a great all-aluminum engine but GM had yet not learned how to make them without a high scrap rate. The engine's Olds variant won an F1 championship.
    The 1966 SOHC Repco-Brabham engine with which Jack Brabham won the 1966 F1 drivers' championship was built around a highly modified GM block but was far, far from the pushrod GM engine. The 1967 SOHC Repco-Brabham engine used Repco's own block. GM derived, not GM.

My Rover P6B had a Rover-made 215 GM V8. I think the big difference between Rover's version and the original was carburation, the Rover version used SUs. My example was very problematic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, good as Leicas are, the cast steel ones will never be as good as the forged ones. Some say the made of stainless are just as good, but I keep thinking, "Which will protect me better in an accident?"
    I don't think about this enough.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, good as Leicas are, the cast steel ones will never be as good as the forged ones. Some say the made of stainless are just as good, but I keep thinking, "Which will protect me better in an accident?"
    For protection, you want the very very rare Kruppstahl Leica, a limited series made for high Nazi officials.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 06-06-2013 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    The 1966 SOHC Repco-Brabham engine with which Jack Brabham won the 1966 F1 drivers' championship was built around a highly modified GM block but was far, far from the pushrod GM engine. The 1967 SOHC Repco-Brabham engine used Repco's own block. GM derived, not GM.

My Rover P6B had a Rover-made 215 GM V8. I think the big difference between Rover's version and the original was carburation, the Rover version used SUs. My example was very problematic.
    Dan, IIRC the original Repco was based on the GM block, with a short-stroke crankshaft for 180 c.i. and Repco's own SOHC heads (and a host of other mods). As power levels climbed there were durability problems with the blocks.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 06-06-2013 at 12:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: SOHC not DOHC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    For protection, you want the very very rare Kruppstahl Leica, a limited series made for high Nazi officials.
    Geez, I can't afford that. Would two Nikon SP's equal one Leica?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Geez, I can't afford that. Would two Nikon SP's equal one Leica?
    Only if they are the very very rare karuta versions, made for the Emperor and his family.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin