Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,727   Online: 854

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Pentax and m42 Leica lenses

Hey all

So I found an m42 to Pentax K mount adapter that had used before. I also recently saw some used Leica screw mount lenses (m42 I think) that look really enticing.

I've read about the loss of infinity focus so am aware of that. However, curious as to whether there are any other issues I should be aware of before putting Leica (voigtlander) screw mount lenses on my Pentax slr?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica lenses use a 39mm screw thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just tried to do this with a Russian Jupiter lens. Didn't work so well.

What's wrong with Pentax's lenses? They are, by all measures, excellent performers.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What's wrong with Pentax's lenses
    Whats wrong with Toyota ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Whats wrong with Toyota ?
    Nothing. They make fantastic cars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I just tried to do this with a Russian Jupiter lens. Didn't work so well.

What's wrong with Pentax's lenses? They are, by all measures, excellent performers.
    Yes they are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    are any other issues I should be aware of before putting Leica (voigtlander) screw mount lenses on my Pentax slr?

Thanks.
    It won't work. LTM lens are m39 and the mount to film plain distance is shorter than Pentax/ m42, so theoretically an LTM lens would need to be mounted inside the body to work.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nothing wrong with Pentax lenses. I like then quite a lot (which is why I'm considering using them and the Pentax film cameras for my next assignment). Just thought I'd try something different and also the Voigtlander lenses I saw (sorry, they're Leica screwmount but Voigtlander brand) are good fast lenses I'm targeting. Was just curious

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Nothing wrong with Pentax lenses. I like then quite a lot (which is why I'm considering using them and the Pentax film cameras for my next assignment). Just thought I'd try something different and also the Voigtlander lenses I saw (sorry, they're Leica screwmount but Voigtlander brand) are good fast lenses I'm targeting. Was just curious
    Great. It's good to be curious. Many lenses are very good, for sure, and just to throw in my two cents on the discussion, I have used Pentax, Leica, and Voigtlander lenses side by side for a few years now.
    It gets confusing at printing time, because I can never remember which camera or lens I used, and unless I make notes I can hardly tell after the fact. I don't print huge pictures, but usually 11x14 or 16x20 from those (mostly Tri-X, but some TMax, FP4, and HP5) negatives, and it's almost impossible for me to tell them apart, unless it was shot wide open (which I don't do much anymore). I use Leica enlarger and enlarging lens too, by the way.

They are all stellar performers, and work wonderfully in all sorts of situations. But if you really wonder what a Leica lens performs like, you should probably experience it for yourself. But for me it was kind of a light bulb moment that while you might be able to measure differences between a Summitar or a Summicron against a Pentax 50mm SMC, it will not really make a difference in the final print that is important. My joy of using the Leica has to do with how beautifully crafted they are, their precision, and how good they feel in the hand. Their silence is remarkable too. If I were you I'd get an M42 Pentax setup, and then start saving for a Leica if you really want to know what they're like.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You can buy a FED 1 camera and attach a Leitz 39 lens on it. Finding a reliable old lens and camera body is difficult at ebay. My advise is to you to become a subscriber and send a want to buy ad to APUG. I saw few times a 3c and an elmar goes for 250 dollars here.

My new question is , whats wrong with Mercedes ?

Umut

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin