Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,935   Online: 945

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Jim Jones;1506394]I briefly used a Miranda in 1967. It developed a few minor problems, so I switched to Nikon. At the time Miranda offered a three-year guarantee, while top companies like Nikon and Leica relied on reputation and construction. Perhaps the burden of supporting that guarantee hastened the company's demise. The three Soligar lenses with the Miranda were sharp![/QUOTE

One of the reasons for the company's demise Jim was the name of the cameras, Miranda wasn't a sexy enough name, and the cameras didn't sell.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    my very 1st slr was a sensorex bought at the base exchange in Viet Nam in either 66 or 67, loved the camera but had a problem finding lenses for it in the states so I switched to Nikon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    One of the reasons for the company's demise Jim was the name of the cameras, Miranda wasn't a sexy enough name, and the cameras didn't sell.
    But their ads featured a fairly sexy brunette. Minolta, Nikon, Practica, Pentax, Zeiss, and others had neither a sexy name nor sexy model.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is a waist-level finder and 135mm lens for Miranda cameras currently advertised by an English company www.sepiamemories.com. They are reasonably priced, but it doesn't say which model they are for. You don't see a lot of the original stuff here in the UK, and you have to be careful not to confuse it with equipment re-branded as Miranda by a UK photo chain in the 80's. I think that system used the PK? lens mount and there were certainly no removable prisms. Alex.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Miranda made cameras for over 20 years, I think 30 or more models, althought the mount has not changed the meter coupling changed quite a bit, unlike Nikon the older lens could not be modified to work with new bodies. What killed Miranda was the DX-3. It was too compete with Pentax and Olympus for the compact SLR market, but it was just a bad design. Miranda left the market in the same time frame that Petri, Kowa and Topcon all left the 35mm market, followed by Konic in the mid 80s.

Shooter
    35mm
    Miranda wasn't a sexy enough name
    Oh!
    Just as well the only Miranda I own is in my name! lol
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    Oh!
    Just as well the only Miranda I own is in my name! lol
    Best post so far this month!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=benjiboy;1509082]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I briefly used a Miranda in 1967. It developed a few minor problems, so I switched to Nikon. At the time Miranda offered a three-year guarantee, while top companies like Nikon and Leica relied on reputation and construction. Perhaps the burden of supporting that guarantee hastened the company's demise. The three Soligar lenses with the Miranda were sharp![/QUOTE

Miranda was good enough for Prospero's daughter...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Muir View Post
    There is a waist-level finder and 135mm lens for Miranda cameras currently advertised by an English company www.sepiamemories.com. They are reasonably priced, but it doesn't say which model they are for. You don't see a lot of the original stuff here in the UK, and you have to be careful not to confuse it with equipment re-branded as Miranda by a UK photo chain in the 80's. I think that system used the PK? lens mount and there were certainly no removable prisms. Alex.
    I took a look at that WLF and it says it fits both sesomat and sensorex models. I think the are a bit confused, Miranda used the same model designation (VF-1) for the WLF for both cameras but they would not work for each other. The ground glass is in dfferent positions on each one. The sensorex WLF had a little brim like a ball cap and the sensomat looked more like the one they are selling.

-Xander

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Muir View Post
    You don't see a lot of the original stuff here in the UK, and you have to be careful not to confuse it with equipment re-branded as Miranda by a UK photo chain in the 80's. I think that system used the PK? lens mount and there were certainly no removable prisms. Alex.
    The rebranded Miranda camertas sold in the UK in the 80's did use the PK mount. I strongly suspect they were made by Cosina, as they looked very much like their own models.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin