Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,441   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Any Miranda users here?

I picked up an ugly, dirty but fully functional Miranda F with the 50/1.9 lens a few weeks back at the flea market for $10. I just replaced all the light seals and mirror bumper, did a CLA and tore the lens down for a cleaning as well. It functions very nice now and everything works.

Just curious who else here uses a Miranda. Also, what non Miranda lenses do you use, if any?

-Xander

Images
    Good Morning Xander,

I bought my first 35mm SLR in the late 1960; it was a Miranda F. I currently have several others, some not completely functional. Versatility is a big plus with the Miranda, since the dual lens mount will accept numerous lenses. The best feature of the Miranda line is the placement of the shutter button; it's located where it can be squeezed rather than punched. I don't see why other manufacturers don't use that approach. While I mostly use MF and LF now and have also gone with Olympus in 35mm, I still occasionally use one of the Mirandas, especially for any 35mm copy work, since I have a very usable Miranda Macron lens.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree about the shutter release, it is quite natural in its position. I am currently trying to find a critical focus chest level finder for this camera, but am not interested in a mint or new in box condition. Seems that's all everybody sells. The quick change prism is a nice feature as well.

It is a heavy camera, but it dents things when dropped rather than it being dented!

-Xander

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot with Miranda EEs, I have 3 EE bodies along a couple of other bodies including REs. The lens are quite good, the line up is only fair, for EE 24 to 200, 21MM to 300 in other vesions. I have most of the EE lens, just missing the 180mm. The only fast lens is a 55 1.4. The viewfinders are somewhat dim by modern standards, the EEs had average and spot metering. The cameras and lens are heavy. The weakness usally seen are locked film advances and dead meters. The only Miranda to advoid as a user is the Dx, the last Miranda camera which helped put Miranda out of busniess. Very odd, took 4 batteries, appeared that there was to be a winder, but never make to production.

Shooter
    35mm
    In the late 80s I bought a Miranda G with 50mm lens. It had a clip-on meter that attached to the top on one side. I bought a waist-level finder, and used it for a few years. I think it had a mirror lock-up? I also bought a Sensorex with 28, 50 and 135 lenses. I think the 50 was a Miranda product, and the other two were Soligor. This camera used a different lens from the G, as it had a TTL meter and used an external coupling on the lens. I think it also had a type of spot meter. In 1989 I swapped the lot for a Nikon F and 50mm. I wish I had kept the Mirandas, although I really liked the Nikon and wish I had kept that too! Alex

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Muir View Post
    In the late 80s I bought a Miranda G with 50mm lens. It had a clip-on meter that attached to the top on one side. I bought a waist-level finder, and used it for a few years. I think it had a mirror lock-up? I also bought a Sensorex with 28, 50 and 135 lenses. I think the 50 was a Miranda product, and the other two were Soligor. This camera used a different lens from the G, as it had a TTL meter and used an external coupling on the lens. I think it also had a type of spot meter. In 1989 I swapped the lot for a Nikon F and 50mm. I wish I had kept the Mirandas, although I really liked the Nikon and wish I had kept that too! Alex
    Miranda parent company also owned Soligar. AIC (?) the parent firm was a US company. Miranda did not make lens, I have read over the years that lens were made by Kowa, Tonika, and others. It is unclear if the lens were Miranda designs or just rebranding of others. Years ago there was a posting on the internet alleging that the Japaness government did not want a US company owing a Japaness Camer Company and drove Miranda out of business.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I briefly used a Miranda in 1967. It developed a few minor problems, so I switched to Nikon. At the time Miranda offered a three-year guarantee, while top companies like Nikon and Leica relied on reputation and construction. Perhaps the burden of supporting that guarantee hastened the company's demise. The three Soligar lenses with the Miranda were sharp!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have two chrome EEs and one black one. My lenses include Mirandas and Soligors in focal lengths of 28, 35, 50, 135, 200 and 80-200 with at least two of each of the prime lenses and one zoom. I agree that the finders are not very bright. My only complaint with this series is that while T mount adapters are available I don't think Vivitar, Soligor, Tamron or Sigma (YS) made adapters specifically for the EE mount with shutter priority automation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cut my teeth on my mom's Sensorex (which I later used to document the Taylor Guitar factory for a specialty magazine devoted to musical instrument construction) and I don't think I have ever found a camera easier in the hands. The shutter release in particular -- I can't believe others never copied the front placement!

The lenses were amazing (50/1.8 is the star but she had the 135 and the 28 plus the 55 Macron which I used to shoot models -- cars and spacecraft not people -- where they really popped with this lens and color slide film) with great consistency in color and overall "look" between the different focal lengths. I would love to have Miranda kit again (mom made some problematic choices in her later years and it's gone). I've read many snipes at Miranda build quality over the years, and while it's no F-1, hers withstood a ham-handed teenager plus I dropped a body on a concrete floor from workbench level during the Taylor shoot and it took it.

Phillip
    Last edited by Mad4MF; 06-09-2013 at 07:05 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Lenses, he asked about lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    Miranda was one of the VERY few mass market SLRs that allowed cleaning of the prism area by simply removing the prism. And you could even clean down below, within and between the fresnel area, by removing six screws on that plate (under the prism). - David Lyga

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin