Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,052   Posts: 1,561,223   Online: 1085

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When somebody says Nikon, then there's no point in mentioning others
    'tis true, but when you are a skint 15 year old, a dose of reality is sometimes needed. There's only air between lens and film on even the most expensive camera, so measured on image quality a nice Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.7 on a £5 Minolta X300 will give anybody's Nikon a run for the money!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    IMO, the OP mentioned Nikon as his area of search. When somebody says Nikon, then there's no point in mentioning others.
    Well to be honest, I'm currently open to anything and everything! I only mentioned it because at this point in time my area of search was the Nikon Fs (as in, every Nikon F camera kind of thing, 60s, 70s etc?). Currently I seem to be shifting very swiftly to the Nikon FM.

A couple of questions on it as I'm a little confused, I'm sure there are a few Nikon FM experts already on this thread - can you tell me a bit about it, like, battery wise I mean? As in, are the batteries it uses still in production? I have several types of hearing-aid batteries and cell batteries in a drawer downstairs and I was just wondering if I'd need to buy special batteries online or something.

Also, I probably will end up getting my OM10 serviced and repaired later on in the future when I have some money that isn't going towards a Nikon FM!

Shooter
    Large Format
    You know something?--it just occurred to me you're in England. I have no idea what cameras, batteries, or anything else is available to you. Sorry.

Shooter
    127 Format
    There are only two things you need to know ...

1) try new batteries -silver oxide only- in your OM-10. It is probably not as dead as you fear.

2) buy an OM-2 not a Nikon
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd suggest looking into something with lenses that will fit both a manual and battery-operated camera.
    I'm sure with an Olympus or Nikon your options will be very good.

Automatic exposure with coupled metering is nice, but batteries die and electronics fail. This is bad when you are in the middle of taking pictures.
    I've a Sears KS-2 (rebranded Ricoh XR-7), and in the future I will pick up something 100% manual that fits my k-mount lenses, and carry it as a back-up.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Re: the FT3, it was made for three years. 1977-79. The FT2 was made between 1975 and 1978. Batteries: both the FT2 and FT3 use the S76 battery. Just one. The FM uses two or one CR 1/3N lithium.

Make sure that whichever body you get has a properly working meter. No twitchy indications and accurate exposure. You can use your 600D to compare against. Set manual mode and center-weighted metering.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm sticking with the Nikon based recommendation. I don't think most of us have any idea what things are like in England. It's a small island with a limited number of available used cameras there, unless they pay big shipping charges bringing them in off-shore. It's a 15 year old kid. I can't think of any 15 year old I ever heard of with his hands on a bag of money. This is a big deal to him. One of the Nikon products to him would be the cats pajamas. Don't you know he's really licking his chops on the idea of a Nikon F2 Photomic, but knows he can't afford one.
    I'm an old guy who has been through all the camera collection days in life--I've had them all. Now I just keep an FT2 I made out of parts cameras. I'm happy. He's a 15 year old kid. Hey--good luck, kid. Knock 'em out.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 06-12-2013 at 10:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I seem to have a big mirror between my lens and the film
    Strange, when the shutter opens and I take my pictures there isn't a mirror. Don't you get some very dark images?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    'tis true, but when you are a skint 15 year old, a dose of reality is sometimes needed. There's only air between lens and film on even the most expensive camera, so measured on image quality a nice Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.7 on a £5 Minolta X300 will give anybody's Nikon a run for the money!
    Listen carefully for that is the sound of wisdom. Similar situation with the canon FD: dead end manual systems trend to be beautifully made and very cheap to buy. You can learn a lot from them cheaply and then get your dream camera later.

Another option is to use an unpopular but good modern camera like the Dynax 5 (fully featured but disgusting plastic hand-feel) for under $20. They'll take a good modern 50/1.7 ($50 used) or 50/1.4 ($200) up to the fanciest modern whatever ($2000 AF Zeiss zooms) and if/when you get cash, there are very cheap+excellent Minolta pro-level bodies that are as good as an F5.

Cheaper yet, you can put a $10 M42 adapter onto a Minolta body and use old+excellent prime lenses you found for $20, like Takumars. $30 for camera and adapter, $20 for basic lens and you're good to go... Can't do that with Nikon.

Now to play devil's advocate... skip 35mm altogether and go straight to medium format. Shoot less and shoot better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for an OM-20 (aka OM-G).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin