Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,616   Online: 880

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

So, I'm a little bit new to this...

Hey there.

So, I'm a little bit new to the whole world of analog photography. I mean, I've been into photography as a passion since around 2008. I mainly just used some disposable cameras up until getting my first ever SLR in 2011, the Canon 600D. Which has, in fact, served me quite well. That is until I cleared the ignorance in my head about film cameras. It was like discovering a whole new world, and that's exactly how it feels.

Based upon the very short (only a few months, really!) period I've spent in analog photography, I've not really picked up my digital in quite sometime. I find myself being dragged further and further into this analog world, and to be honest I'm quite happy with it. It's a whole lot of fun!

I come with a slight request in this post, if I'm honest... I currently own an Olympus Trip 35, which is a lovely little camera and I got a few good rolls of film out of it. But I wanted something more... I was so used to my DSLR, that I had to get an SLR. I just find it so much more intuitive being able to see exactly what I'm going to get. I mean, sure, I love rangefinders, but I simply can't get to grips with it at all. I just, can't! So I ended up investing in an Olympus OM10, which is a real beauty. It's served me well over this past month that I've had it, with 3 rolls of film that I've been very happy with... However, it's recently, in fact basically today, come to the conclusion... That it's short journey is over. My Olympus OM10 is basically, dead.

Yeah I know I could take it to a repair shop or get it fixed, but the fact of the matter is I suppose I might let this death stay and well, move on already. I mean, I've found my self obsessed with the whole Nikon-F following, and all the cameras that came off it (FE, FM, etc.) - but right about now, especially after the purchase of the OM10, I'm skint. Being a 15 year old high school student too, well, even skinter. I'm hoping on getting a job sometime soon.

I have a little request from anyone in the forum.

Would anyone be willing, say, if they have one just lying around or are trying to get rid of one, give me a price on a Nikon-F, or FM / FE? Something along this series. Or, even better I suppose, if anyone could recommend a brand or an SLR that I can pick up reasonably cheap that is of high quality, and will produce some cracking images? If it can take a nifty fifty lens, I'm all over it.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Go on ebay and get a Nikkormat FT2. You'll never go wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon is a great system to get into because pretty much any Nikon manual-focus lens will go onto any manual-focus Nikon camera. The N#### series tends to be rather plasticky, but any of the metal F-series should serve you well. I have the FM myself. Before you know it, you'll be developing your own film!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm one of those who will pound into people's heads--FT2, FT2... The prices now are dirt cheap,it opens you up to any Nikkor lens ever made, before and after, it has a 357 battery and not a PX625, it is as rugged as an anvil. Anything after that will lock you in to the higher priced AI lenses, which is pointless. Anything after 1977 ties you down you needlessly high priced lenses.
    You don't want an F. They take PX625,s and you do NOT want that. Plus, if it's the least little bit dark above your head, you can't see the meter needle. Irritating.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    How about a pentax K1000? Built like a tank and will last you a lifetime.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I'm one of those who will pound into people's heads--FT2, FT2... The prices now are dirt cheap,it opens you up to any Nikkor lens ever made, before and after, it has a 357 battery and not a PX625, it is as rugged as an anvil. Anything after that will lock you in to the higher priced AI lenses, which is pointless. Anything after 1977 ties you down you needlessly high priced lenses.
    You don't want an F. They take PX625,s and you do NOT want that. Plus, if it's the least little bit dark above your head, you can't see the meter needle. Irritating.
    There's no place to even put a battery in my F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    ++

Intuitive, easy to use, big nobs, great glass. What's not to like? And I'm a Minolta guy.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I think someone who specifically asks for Nikon gear is probably set on the Nikon world, n'est-ce-pas?

I'm a Canon guy personally, to the extent that I shoot 35mm SLRs at all (which is pretty minimal now), but I agree that the later Nikkormats are terrific cameras. You have to do the Nikon manual-indexing routine, but apparently you get used to that pretty quickly. The only real downside I see is that Nikon's manual-focus lenses have held their value better than other manufacturers', since they mount on their DSLR bodies as well. You can build up a fantastic Canon FD, or I suppose Pentax K- or screwmount, outfit for peanuts; less so where Nikkor lenses are concerned.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for your quick replies, it's really put some ease on me (I've been a little bit semi-worked up about the OM10 xD)

The Nikon FT2 looks like a camera I missed in my "Nikon with an F in the front of the name" research. Thank you all for pointing it out... It looks like my camera of choice right about now! Will have to do a little bit of saving though. I'm that poor right now!

And Terry - I actually plan to setup my own darkroom sometime in the summer. I mean, I'll soon have access to one thanks to my bro's friend who has all the equipment for it, just needs to set it up. and the photography teacher at my high school recently mentioned that they're setting up the dark room again (we have one, it's just sort of, not been used in a little while!) -The teacher even said if I bring him some film, we can develop it together, for free, because he needs practice!

It's an exciting world for a 15 year old, I must say. Can't wait to get my hands on my Nikon FT2, and can't wait to see what wonderful shots I'll get out of it!

Thank you all again for your kind responses

--- Also, while I'm at it... Can anyone link me to a good 50mm lens I could get with the Nikon FT2? I can't seem to find one on Ebay, maybe I'm just not searching hard enough. If someone could link me, I'd appreciate it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paper, knowledge is power. Explore this site to get an idea which models take what lenses, and what is generally available in Nikon gear.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...lrmain5979.htm

As for 50mm lenses, the 50/2 Nikkor H is hard to beat.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin