Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,542   Online: 990

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

F3 & non-AI lenses

Will non-AI lenses work on the F3? I heard that there is a connection that pulls out of the camera for this purpose. Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    the F3, M and FE came out about the time Nikon switched ti AI so ikon put a small chrome button near the little index tab that when pressed lets you lift the tab out of the way. This lets you mount a non AI lens without damage but the meter will not work. Hope this helps

Shooter
    35mm
    You can mount non-AI lenses on the F3. And as you pointed out, you will need to lift the tiny "flap" on just above the mount. To meter, you will need to stop down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As you face the camera without a lens and looking at it directly into the lens mount, the little lever that flips up is at the 1 O' Clock position.

To lift the little lever, you need to push down the little button, which is directly to the right of the little lever along the curve of the lens mount in. About 10mm further around the lens mount housing curve.

To close the lever to the normal down position, just push the lever down.

As I understand it, the F3 is capable of mounting any Nikkor SLR lens from 1959 onwards.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm RF

AI conversion service for Nikon lenses

When I bought my F3, I did not understand what AI was all about. After I bought several non-AI lenses, I found it rather awkward to meter with them.

Soon, I sent 2 to John White http://www.aiconversions.com and I'm totally happy with his work. Very fast, too. Several day turn-around.

Larry in Kingston, Ontario.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to you all, Chip

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, use it all the time. My F3 is my only camera to carry, when I need my 24mm (non AI), my 50 AIS, my 105 (again non-ai) and my 70-300 ED. It largely depends on what assortment of lenses you have, but the F3 has a superb meter for non-AI, up to the newest lenses..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you wish to convert that lens, this here could help: http://www.chr-breitkopf.de/photo/aiconv.en.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone mentioned the F3's meter won't work with non AI lenses. I thought it would meter, but you have to use stop down metering with non AI lenses. And I also second John White's work. He converted 2 lenses for me and did a great job.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    Someone mentioned the F3's meter won't work with non AI lenses. I thought it would meter, but you have to use stop down metering with non AI lenses. And I also second John White's work. He converted 2 lenses for me and did a great job.
    You are correct, the meter does work, but you have to use stop-down mode since the camera isn't coupled with the f/stop ring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin