Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,886   Online: 1001

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    To everyone, whether they realise it or not.
    "We work to have leisure, on which happiness depends" (Aristotle). The trappings such as fancy cars (payments) and "smart"phones (constant disruption/distraction) destroy leisure and peace of mind.
    This effect is a real problem, but I think it's a mistake to blame the trappings for it, as you rather reliably and prominently do when the topic of cameraphones comes up.

Personally, I clearly gain leisure and peace of mind from having a phone---whether the "smart" aspects are a win over just voice and SMS, I'm not completely sure yet, but SMS works drastically better with a smartphone than it ever did with the old feature phones. Just the time saved in extra trips to the grocery store, because I get the message that says "We need garlic!" while I'm there rather than having to go back for it afterwards, is probably enough to make the device a net win.

I don't find it to be a compulsive source of distraction. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I got that stuff out of my system when I was a lot younger and computer networks were a novelty. I think you have it backwards, though; humans *find* distractions, and if you take one thing away we'll find them in something else. Hence the perennial series of moral panics over new distractions, going back to at least classical Greece and all sounding much the same in spirit. Our cave-dwelling ancestors no doubt flipped their hirsute lids over how much of a time-wasting distraction this "language" crap was.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the comments here might be added to this:

http://xkcd.com/1227/
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    This effect is a real problem, but I think it's a mistake to blame the trappings for it, as you rather reliably and prominently do when the topic of cameraphones comes up.

Personally, I clearly gain leisure and peace of mind from having a phone---whether the "smart" aspects are a win over just voice and SMS, I'm not completely sure yet, but SMS works drastically better with a smartphone than it ever did with the old feature phones. Just the time saved in extra trips to the grocery store, because I get the message that says "We need garlic!" while I'm there rather than having to go back for it afterwards, is probably enough to make the device a net win.

I don't find it to be a compulsive source of distraction. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I got that stuff out of my system when I was a lot younger and computer networks were a novelty. I think you have it backwards, though; humans *find* distractions, and if you take one thing away we'll find them in something else. Hence the perennial series of moral panics over new distractions, going back to at least classical Greece and all sounding much the same in spirit. Our cave-dwelling ancestors no doubt flipped their hirsute lids over how much of a time-wasting distraction this "language" crap was.

-NT
    You're correct in that I was not as clear as I should have been. The gadget itself is not responsible, it's our use of it that determines it's influence on our existence.

In the instance I related above, it was someone else's use (misuse) of a gadget which nearly made me into a statistic. I loathed cellphones before that, though.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 06-20-2013 at 09:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Some of the comments here might be added to this:

http://xkcd.com/1227/
    If you dig around a bit, you can find similar quotes from Greeks and Romans. It's called "the Human Condition".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're correct in that I was not as clear as I should have been. The gadget itself is not responsible, it's our use of it that determines it's influence on our existence.
    It's those damn kids, is what it is! ;-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    It's those @#!*% kids, is what it is! ;-)
    I'm pretty sure Socrates said something about those darn wippersnappers!

Images
    Vizzini: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
    Man in Black: Yes.
    Vizzini: Morons
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm

In the instance I related above, it was someone else's use (misuse) of a gadget which nearly made me into a statistic. I loathed cellphones before that, though.
    For me, that's all beside the point. For most of my life I have needed a phone to be reachable for jobs. I have needed a car to get to those gigs. What freedom in being able to let that go. I might have a phone, but now I can keep it shut off except when I choose. I drive when I choose, not because I must.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin