Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,007   Posts: 1,524,570   Online: 1006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    The only time I've has fixer 'go bad' was when I forgot how much film I had run through it and it just stopped working. Pulled the film out after 6 min. and it was still milky and had not cleared. Then I mixed new fixer and ran the film through again and it cleared just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once fixer starts to sulfurize it should NOT be used. If any bits of sulfur adhere to the emulsion it will be impossible to remove it without damaging the film. Fixer is cheap but film is expensive.

Unless you're talking about years, fixer and stop bath generally don't "go bad" with time the way developer will. They just expire with use,
    Typically in Florida a fixing bath will begin to sulfurize in 9 months to a year. As I said it is based on the storage temperature of the bath.

Whether a fixing bath is fresh or partly used has nothing to do with its sulfurization. Any acidic solution of a thiosulfate is unstable. To slow down the sulfurization process sodium sulfite is added to the fixer. Its purpose is to combine with any sulfur formed and convert it back to thiosulfate. Once the sodium sulfite has been completely used up the bath will sulfurize very rapidly.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-18-2013 at 01:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you so much. It seems like I'm set then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin