Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,157   Online: 818

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Stylus Epic repair

Anyone know where I could send a Sylus Epic for focus alignment? Or if it is even possible? One of mine is back focusing 3 or 4 inches. Probably cheaper to just get another I realize, but this one has some sentimental value. thanks
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It probably isn't the lens but the autofocus mechanism. It might be anything from dust or debris in the optical part that is causing it to misread the focus point or faulty electronics. The time involved in diagnosing such a problem probably makes it not worth the cost of the repair.

Most P&S cameras were made to be replaced and not repaired. Not that they can't be repaired, but it's always about the amount of time compared with the value of the camera.

Thrift shops are full of sub-$10 P&S cameras, although you don't see as many Stylus Epics.

I probably would replace it with another camera and then keep that one for its sentimental value. I've done this with a couple of cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Mike, yeah I get it. I have never seen an epic in a thrift store, and I used to look pretty hard.
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Steve, I have a couple that I'm not going to use. They're silver versions with the date back and work fine. Let me know if you want 'em.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought my Stylus Epic Zoom 70 at a local thrift store for $10 a couple of years ago. To be honest, it's the only one I've found.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This weekend, I saw a little black Stylus with the 35-70 zoom. I already have one, so I passed.

Back to the Stylus Epic - nice cameras, particularly the one with the 35mm lens. I do understand why you would want to get it repaired.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fix - I sent you a PM, I would be interested for sure. Let me know how much.

Yes I do come across the zooms at thrift shops fairly regular, I am often tempted to try one, but I always pass. The 35/2.8 epic is a great little camera.
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebarry View Post
    Hey Mike, yeah I get it. I have never seen an epic in a thrift store, and I used to look pretty hard.
    Stop looking. If you go into a thrift store looking for something, you'll never find it. You have to be looking for something else in order to find what you really want.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I'll keep my eye out, I happen upon them somewhat regularly. My father got one of the limited edition wine colored variants back in the day. Too bad it's not any "nicer" than the normal Epic.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Stop looking. If you go into a thrift store looking for something, you'll never find it. You have to be looking for something else in order to find what you really want.
    New strategy! I'm going to start looking for gold, green and red Christmas sweaters and hope an interesting camera shows up.

All the Los Angeles and Orange County thrifts shops I visit never have any good cameras at all. And this is a big place.

Thanks for the tip !!
    - Bill Lynch

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin