Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,260   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i would also suggest something with a shorter lens ...

OR you could always hang from a bar and stretch your arms.
    when i was younger, before i grew to the enormous size that i was
    i used to stretch on a bar and eventually i could tie my shoes without bending down, it was FUN.
    i don't suggest you get THAT extreme, i mean i was a kid, ... and your arms don't "recoil"
    i was lucky to grow to about 6'8" otherwise i'd really look freakish as an adult ...
    i didn't stay that height for long a house fell on me when i was about 16, now im kinda short

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A typical cell phone camera lens tends to be a little over 30mm equiv. So a camera with a 28mm lens would be about right. Something like a Nikon Lite*Touch AF-600 should work (i.e.. it focus to about 14").

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, 18%;

The fact that you know about the "average scene" reflectance is a good thing.

There are at least two different things here. You want to know "How wide to go," and you want to take portrait type photographs. Those two goals may not be compatible in only one lens.

For a 35mm film format, I have found that a 24mm lens is about as wide as I can go and not worry too much about "I am using a wide angle lens and I need to handle the camera appropriately." Basically, 24mm is as far as I can go and treat it as a "normal" lens. I really like the 24mm lens for interior shots in a room. It is a good compromise between field of view and possible distortion of straight lines. A "rectilinear" design helps.

Then for portraits, I like the perspective and the appearance that I get with a lens from about 85mm up to 105mm. With a wide angle lens, there seems to be a lot of strange emphasis with the nose and other unpleasant effects. A "moderate telephoto" lens yields a more pleasing image. The one disadvantage to this length lens, if you are the only person around, is the need for a tripod or other camera support and the use of a timer to delay the release of the shutter until you and any other subjects are in the field of view and composed.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by maderik View Post
    A typical cell phone camera lens tends to be a little over 30mm equiv. So a camera with a 28mm lens would be about right. Something like a Nikon Lite*Touch AF-600 should work (i.e.. it focus to about 14").
    Correct, but keep in mind that cellphone cameras (due to the tiny sensor they use) have far more DOF than 35mm for the same angle of view.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm not sure if you want to worry about this, but in general, portraits shot with a wide angle lens are not very flattering - they tend to make the nose look bigger and distort the face. Another issue is that if you are using it when travelling, and you want to get that iconic picture of you and S.O. standing in front of the eiffel tower - using a really wide angle lens will make the background shrink to nothingness. You may want to consider taking those self portraits the way that it was done back when cameras like the Himatic were developed - using the self timer, and setting up the scene with a bit more care, and selecting the lens that will make you (and your S.O.) look good. You can either use a small tripod, or I often just set the camera on a wall or railing....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    I'm not sure if you want to worry about this, but in general, portraits shot with a wide angle lens are not very flattering - they tend to make the nose look bigger and distort the face. Another issue is that if you are using it when travelling, and you want to get that iconic picture of you and S.O. standing in front of the eiffel tower - using a really wide angle lens will make the background shrink to nothingness. You may want to consider taking those self portraits the way that it was done back when cameras like the Himatic were developed - using the self timer, and setting up the scene with a bit more care, and selecting the lens that will make you (and your S.O.) look good. You can either use a small tripod, or I often just set the camera on a wall or railing....
    Yes, there's no sense using a decent camera/lens combo and just holding it in your hand. Might as well stick to the cellphone cam for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i could tie my shoes without bending down, it was FUN.
    i don't suggest you get THAT extreme, i mean i was a kid, ...
    Just like that Moscow chimp!

i was lucky to grow to about 6'8" otherwise i'd really look freakish as an adult ...
    i didn't stay that height for long a house fell on me when i was about 16, now im kinda short
    You found your way back to Kansas then, John? Now I finally understand what's up with those retina prints!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ultra-wide angle lenses are not all that ideal for portraits, the distortion when tilted up or down is their major feature (not a fault). Rectilinear/planar corrected ultra-wides in the range of 16 to 20mm overcome some of the distortion, but never all of it — it's impossible. I would settle for 35mm or 40mm as a comfortable medium for arm's length shots. A 20mm can be used if you can incorporate other objects in the frame to add interest and scale, remembering always that the wider your lens is, the further the subject is pushed back, the smaller it becomes, and at closer distances features "balloon out" comically. Your significant other may not take kindly to such a look. Experiment with several lenses you are interested in.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You probably want a 35mm lens or at most a 28mm. 24mm and below start to get very, very wide quite quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my 28mm on my Mamiya NC1000s, rarely take it off.

David
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin