Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,627   Online: 722

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How wide do I need to go?

So I'm looking to buy a 35mm camera primarily to capture the life of my significant other and I. I want a camera with a lens with a large enough field of view that I fit my s/o and I in the frame when I hold the camera out at arms length. I was looking at a Minolta Hi-matic G, but I wasn't sure if its 38mm lens would be wide enough. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That depends on how much you would like to capture. If you only want the heads to show and it is ok to have the arm straight out (it will then be visible in the picture) you can use a 35mm lens.
    I think I would recommend a tripod and self timer though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How distorted do you want to go is really the question. I did just that for the first time (with an SLR at least) a few weeks ago on a holiday in Singapore.
    (ok, so it was on a dSLR, so purists just stop reading).
    7D with Sigma 8-16mm, so 35mm equivalent of a 12-24mm lens. At about 20mm (35mm equiv) I got me and the missus head+shoulders, with a bit of space in between where the Merlion was in the background.
    Turned out horribly (wide-angle) distorted, over-inflated noses and whatnot, so I'm not about to share it...

Or just use a calculator like here (dimensional, third one down). If arm's length is 0.6 meter, and lens is 24mm, you frame 60x90cm as a good start.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you considered a Lomo LC-Wide? They are on sale at the moment at www.lomography.com. I've had a Lomo LC-A+, the build quality is, well, not stellar, but they work. The LC-Wide has a 17mm lens, you'll get everything in with that.

Also there is something like a Bessa L or Bessa T with a Voigtlander 15mm lens.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    38mm isn't that wide, but the hi-matics are great cameras! 24mm is wide. 20mm is WIDE. Start with 35mm or around there and then go from there.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Also consider the minimum focus-ability of whichever camera you settle for. For eg, say you go for a Oly XA, which has a 35mm lens, it's minimum focus is .9 meter (about 3 feet), is your wing span .9 m?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We use 24mm lens for that purpose. It's kind of difficult to aim right so I need some extra coverage. Be mindful of the shortest focus-able distance!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i would also suggest something with a shorter lens ...

OR you could always hang from a bar and stretch your arms.
    when i was younger, before i grew to the enormous size that i was
    i used to stretch on a bar and eventually i could tie my shoes without bending down, it was FUN.
    i don't suggest you get THAT extreme, i mean i was a kid, ... and your arms don't "recoil"
    i was lucky to grow to about 6'8" otherwise i'd really look freakish as an adult ...
    i didn't stay that height for long a house fell on me when i was about 16, now im kinda short

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Somewhere out in cyberspace you can probably find an arm length to focal length ratio chart but you should check the Manfrotto/Bogen catalog for camera supports beside tripods there are extension arms and clamps that may be helpful.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i would also suggest something with a shorter lens ...

OR you could always hang from a bar and stretch your arms.
    when i was younger, before i grew to the enormous size that i was
    i used to stretch on a bar and eventually i could tie my shoes without bending down, it was FUN.
    i don't suggest you get THAT extreme, i mean i was a kid, ... and your arms don't "recoil"
    i was lucky to grow to about 6'8" otherwise i'd really look freakish as an adult ...
    i didn't stay that height for long a house fell on me when i was about 16, now im kinda short
    Only works in Rhode Island.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin