Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,291   Online: 957

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I know nothing of the Zenit, but if your camera has an exposure-compensation control, then setting that to -1 will have the same effect as metering a stop faster. So 400 on the ISO setting, -1 on the compensation and you have 800. Or rather, subtract 1 from the compensation that you would have normally put in for your scene, e.g. for metering off white skin you would normally put in +1 compensation, subtract 1 and you get 0 compensation. Or if you were spot-metering some shadow detail at -2 then you would put in -3.
    The early Zenits that I am familiar with had uncoupled, selenium cell meters - no compensation available.

And a lot of the cameras that do offer compensation settings do so by changing the ASA (as it then was) setting, which doesn't work if the compensation would push the speed setting out of the range available.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unlikely to be of any consequence because of latitude of negative film. Shoot.
    But don't try it if you're using slide film — got to have your smarts about you with that.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccl@yahoo.com View Post
    Use your own judgement. check out this site.

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm
    The basis of Parker's argument is that you have to interpret your meter's reading and that is too difficult so his solution is to bracket everything.

What a waste of film and what a way to miss the shot that you want (i.e you get the perfect shot but is is one of the bracketed exposures that had too little exposure).

Generally, when I teach people, it takes them all of a couple of minutes to understand that the meter believes it is seeing something that represents 18% grey and that they have to interpret the results: for negative film meter the shadow that you want detail in and stop down two stops from what the meter says and for slide film meter the brightest highlight that you want detail in and open up two stops.

Referring to the OP's original question, apply the same as above and then adjust by closing down the aperture by one stop or increase the shutter speed by one stop (assuming that, for you, the ISO rating of 800 gives you sufficient shadow detail).

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Allen View Post
    The basis of Parker's argument is that you have to interpret your meter's reading and that is too difficult so his solution is to bracket everything.

What a waste of film and what a way to miss the shot that you want (i.e you get the perfect shot but is is one of the bracketed exposures that had too little exposure).

Generally, when I teach people, it takes them all of a couple of minutes to understand that the meter believes it is seeing something that represents 18% grey and that they have to interpret the results: for negative film meter the shadow that you want detail in and stop down two stops from what the meter says and for slide film meter the brightest highlight that you want detail in and open up two stops.

Referring to the OP's original question, apply the same as above and then adjust by closing down the aperture by one stop or increase the shutter speed by one stop (assuming that, for you, the ISO rating of 800 gives you sufficient shadow detail).

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    Fred Parker doesn't know how to use a meter properly. That's all there is to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    Parker simply does not know what he is doing so he has evoved [devolved] to endless testing. That is all that he can successfully do, endless testing.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Parker simply does not know what he is doing so he has evoved [devolved] to endless testing. That is all that he can successfully do, endless testing.
    But he is using film...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [...]
    Generally, when I teach people, it takes them all of a couple of minutes to understand that the meter believes it is seeing something that represents 18% grey and that they have to interpret the results: for negative film meter the shadow that you want detail in and stop down two stops from what the meter says and for slide film meter the brightest highlight that you want detail in and open up two stops.[...]

What!!?
    I'm sure that cannot be correct.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    What!!?
    That's about right although I only stop down 1.5 stop for the shadow.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    What!!?
    When you skim it too fast it sounds wrong.

For slides, it would be a bad idea to figure out the correct exposure based on the highlights and THEN open two stops.

David Allen's advice was only explaining the steps which EFFECTIVELY give you the correct exposure based on the highlights.

It's sort of like Zone System placement, say spotmeter the highlight and place it on Zone VII

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cannot believe what I am reading.
    Yes it is a bad idea to open up 1.5~2 on a reading of highlights, we can put that in the cement. By dint of the reverse, it is also absurd to stop down 1.5~2 for shadows. Where are these theories coming from? If you have shadow and highlights in your scene, tell me how both are to be enumerated and preserved. It's not impossible. But it does require craftiness.

Slide film does not allow for for a sloppy approach to metering. In my images, there is very often conflicting "information" in the scene which must all be individually balanced: shadow and highlight. I would like to know what the basis is for additional exposure over a balanced reading. In competent hands it is submitted that there is no need for any additional compensation unless there is polarisation applied (variable compensation) or a B&W filter.

I will also point out that bracketing is valuable in marginal scenes. I don't squander film, but I don't squander the opportunity to err on the safe side in difficult conditions. Of course, quite unnecessary for a lot of the time with B&W, but it is standard, common and professional practice with transparency.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin