Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,774   Posts: 1,516,624   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Apo Summicron , 4 times better blue correction than Summicron, how images look like?

I read Apo Summicron 50 is 4 times better blue corrected than ordinary Summicron. What is the meaning of this ? How images look like ? Velvia ?

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    .5% less fringing in 1% of your pictures that actually might have fringing.

Real world results: 1% more sharpness (if that, maybe).

I'll keep my summicron dual range, and the extra $7400.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Chris,

Thank you for your reply.

Umut

Shooter
    Large Format
    Pardon me, Leica fans. But NOTHING on this world is that good. The prices of Leica stuff is totally absurd. And I'm the first to say that generally speaking, German-made machinery out-classes anything else made on this 24,000 mile round rock. But nothing is THAT good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll only find out how good it is if you try it. When you try it, it has to be your own copy that you use, otherwise some one might catch you cheating. It's only your very own copy of the new AA Summicron 50 you can master, otherwise you might risk: ruining your photos with the borrowed one, just like with any Japanese 50.

On a serious note, I really think you should buy it, with all the sacrifice this comes with.

The rest of us will enjoy the humble normal Summicrons, any generation and grab the LF camera, when the need for another kind of quality comes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My lenses are already better lenses than I'm a photographer, most photographers have gear that's capable of better results than the owners are capable of, I doubt owning this super expensive optic would enable me to take photographs that are commensurate with it's price. The improvement you mention in colour rendition are probably due to the fact that apocromatic optics bring all the primary colours into focus at the same point http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apochromat
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-23-2013 at 07:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Pardon me, Leica fans. But NOTHING on this world is that good. The prices of Leica stuff is totally absurd. And I'm the first to say that generally speaking, German-made machinery out-classes anything else made on this 24,000 mile round rock. But nothing is THAT good.
    Tom,

Does a Harley Davidson motorcycle go any faster because it has that fifth coat of clear? Of course not, but people have no problem accepting an additional cost because they're there. People are the problem. Car companies brag about the precision assembly of their robotic assembly lines; a vehicle every ten minutes and not a one touched by a fallible human being. Even as those humans wonder where the hell their job went. Leica does a ton of hand assembly by expensive human labor. Leica pays for their country's expensive social support network. Leica operates in a carefully crafted pinnacle in a niche market. Absolutely part of that is feeding the value of the brand by manipulating the price of joining the club. They're not the only ones to do that. That's very expensive; ask anybody who buys hip fashion crap like D&G sunglasses; summer's hot style passé by July. But Leica doesn't get to extrude new styles of Summicrons in a factory in China, that's Canon's and Nikon's gig these days.

Personally, I think the APO Summi is too expensive, but not by that much. It has reached a point where, if you don't use a tripod and cable release for all your shots you've wasted the performance potential of that lens and with it your money. That refutes the singular core belief of Leica that you can get "a lifetime of great photography" in a small quick handling camera. This is being driven, not by Leica, but by the Asian technology locomotive that's looking for ever more reasons to buy that next bit of disposable electronic future-trash. However they couch it, Leica is in reactive mode to that locomotive, and their answer will always be to do the best they possibly can and, as much as possible, cost-be-damned. I'm OK with that. It's why my M3 doesn't have plastic kit lenses but lenses my grand-children (I have not doubt) will fight over when I'm dead.

But, yeah, seven large might be a bit much.

s-APO-less-a

PS - I'm inclined to believe the value of my greenbacks is totally absurd.
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The price is absurd, but to make a product 5-10% better (what ever that may mean?) the cost go up by lets say 100%.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    And this is not the whole story , how much they invested to research labs , scientists , their own lens softwares and algorithms , glass research , doctoral theses , how many years they paid top prices to the best minds of the World , how much invested to the best cnc machines and how many years they less use them because of cnc machine out of tolerance aging. 7000 dollar is much but when you are paying 60000 to Toyota , it is very cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (Deleted....nevermind....sorry)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin