Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,395   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    A BGN (bargain) grade from KEH is like an EX everywhere else plus money back guarantee. On top of that it is an OM4T - with newer board, and at a lower cost. Sounds like a no brainer . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    On keh there is a champagne om4t for $200 in bgn condition. For $300 there has been a number of completed auctions on eBay for om3 models at that price range. Unless its pristine in box I think the price is a bit high. Maybe worth it if it's been cla'ed by someone that specializes in Olympus cameras, as the quality of cla's can vary.

Thanks for the price considerations. While it is pricey, I'm thinking the 30 day warranty on it plus it looking extremely clean (no marks at all from what i can see) and the ability to play with it in person is worth a little bit of the extra cash. Plus, there's no shipping charge, which can sometimes push the numbers up.

I will definitely think about it. Don't think a CLA was done but the condition seems really good.

KEH shipping to Canada is horribly expensive I've found but ($60 minimum) plus possible customs charges on the way up....

Shooter
    35mm
    Spring for the 4T and get it CLA'd. It will last you the rest of your life and you'll never need another camera (but that doesn't mean you won't buy another camera).

Shooter
    35mm
    I think if this OM4 that im eyeing has the new circuitry, I will probably go for it. But we shall see. May find aomething else about it to check out!

Shooter
    127 Format
    I have an OM-4t, an OM-3, an OM-2sp and OM-PC which are all known for battery longetivity issues.

Since all these are seldomly used I have taken the habit of removing the batteries between uses.

I use a copper penny and softly open the covers to avoid damage. plus I don't see any need to crank down with all my might when closing them up. (it's not like they will spring a leak)

So far this works great for me. I'm not killing batteries needlessly and the fresh ones just go into the camera in use at the time.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try to score some Zuiko glasses. Battery issue is secondary if you like OM-x series.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MrclSchprs View Post
    All OM-4 models have the old, battery draining circuit board. It is possible that Olympus replaced the camera's board if it was brought in for repair. You can easily check whether or not your OM-4 has the updated board. Switch to battery test mode. If your camera starts beeping your batteries are good. Wait for about 30 seconds. If the beeping stops you have a OM-4TI in disguse. If the beeping does not stop you have a original OM-4
    Battery check that turns off in 30 seconds indicates 1 of 3 possible lower drain boards. The best being one used in the 4T/Ti. Drain is about 1/6th that of the original 4 (about 5 microamps as compared to 30). You do not get Super FP flash feature as found in 4T/Ti. PS: turning the shutter speed dial to B/60 does NOT turn the drain off, it simply prevents auto meter relight). Always use silver oxide batteries for longest life. John

Shooter
    35mm
    So I ended up getting the Olympus OM4 and I have to say I love it. The OM1 is a great camera but the OM4 has a certain feel about. Ah heck I like both! But carting around the OM4. Love the size and weight.

It ended up being a version with what looks to be a lower drain board as the battery test turns off after about 15-20 seconds.

Took this camera to Portland and accidentally left it on a few times but seems it has an auto-shutoff feature... or atleast, it stops auto meter relight if I don't hit the shutter button.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin