Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,733   Online: 982

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't doubt that this is fine and sharp lens, but If I would want to give so much money for this type of nikon mount manual lens - I would look for some nikkor f1.2.

regards,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 50/1.4 Zeiss is among the less coveted Zeiss lenses, and it sort of makes sense as there is a Nikkor match that isn't all that bad either. Given the price, I think it has bragging more than practical value for a large majority. The Zeiss 85/1.4 is said to be noticeably sharper than the Nikkor. Even so, I have never felt let down by my Nikkor AF-D version, and am not about to give it up for a manual focus Zeiss twice the price. I am sure that also applies to most Nikkor 50/1.4 owners.

Where the Zeiss lenses make more sense would be where a comparable Nikkor does not exist, e.g. the Makro-Planar 50/2 and 100/2, and some of the wide-angle primes which are markedly better than the offerings from Nikon. I have shot with the 100/2, and must admit that it is a wonderful optic. I feel no urge to fork out $1600, or whatever it costs nowadays, for a manual focus lens, but if it ever came in an AF-S version, I'd be right in front of the queue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I look back at some of my prints from the 70s and 80s, I'm hard pressed to tell which were taken with my Nikon Ftn and the 50 mm 1.4, and my Lieca with a 50. (I can't recall which Leica 50.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Hey guys,

just realized that this lens existed? Is any good?

ToddB
    Probably it's very good. But will you see the difference in a blind a/b comparison? I'd say you need to look into the cost/benefit ratio. You can get a 50/1.4 Ai Nikkor for under $100 with a bit of luck, and this Zeiss will have to be a very very good lens indeed to beat out the Nikkor. So, it depends on whether you want to spend money, or take pictures.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 06-24-2013 at 09:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you really want to blow money on a Zeiss normal, wait for their 55mm f1.4 to come out later this year

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin