Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,555   Posts: 1,573,149   Online: 810

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebarry View Post
    I have a plain prism F and F3 and like both. My F is beat up pretty bad - shutter button position never bothered me on the F. The film advance lever on the F3 is very very nice though - nothing better from nikon if you ask me.

I like the idea of the F being totally mechanical....but film advance feels like there is a hump about 2/3's the way through, and the lever itself feels very thin somehow. Every time I advance the film on the F it sorta feels like the lever could snap. And the F is bottom load on the film, sort of a pain if you go through film fast and are used to a film door. Another thing, the viewfinder on the F is somehow nicer than the F3 to me. Seems bigger or brighter.
    The F definitely feels like it has gears operating the advance mechanism, whereas the F3 series has the ball bearings, like the EM, FG, and FG-20. Yep, same winding mechanism. With respect to the finder, is your F3 an HP model? That would explain why the F's finder seems bigger. Less magnification on the DE-3 than on the eyelevel F finder. 75% compared to 80%.

Re: the original poster's question, I'd get an F2AS. Keep the F, find a decent eyelevel prism, and put that on in place of the Photomic finder.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn, FT2
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/2 K, 50/1.4 AI, 55/3.5 Micro PC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 105/2.5 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Considering that a few days ago I pulled out my F3HP, only to find it totally dead, I am not a big fan of the F3. I never really was -- don't care for the metering pattern and the on/off switch is remarkably unergonomic.

I'd go for an F2, even with one of the meter prisms. Beautifully made camera, feels great in the hand.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want a refined camera the F3 is most refined. The best is the F2.

Shooter
    35mm
    My F is refined. Like a piece of spring steel sharpened on the sidewalk. Looks bad, works well.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    ahhh IC...I think I will stick with the F/F2 for robustness and add a plain prism(I don't need a meter or auto-anything).

Quick question: the plain prism and the screens between the two are interchangeable, right? I believe so but I wanted to make sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    The Nikon F2 is the finest fit and finish camera to ever come out of Japan.
    +1
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    good timing: a long-time F2 user, i had a chance to play with a motorized F3 today, while picking up a lens from a local store... i played... and played... and played... and, like, meh... so i played a bit more, just so i could say i've been there, y'know, then i put it away with other toys

nothing says "respect" like an F2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    Both are fine cameras. More important: which one feels & handles best in your hands?
    I have an F and an F2, and they're very similar in a lot of ways, obviously, but the slightly more rounded shape of the F2 for me wins out. The small improvements--the higher shutter speed, the hinged back--mean that most of the time when I want one of my Nikons, I choose the F2 over the F. Mine has the photomic head, but the meter no longer works right, so it might just as well be a plain prism. I've only shot wit an F3 once or twice. I'm sure it's fine but I like the more completely mechanical models.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have both the plain prism F and F2 as well as the F3HP. All three are lovely cameras but the F2 has a slight edge. Small differences like the placement of the shutter release and film door gives it the edge.

Shooter
    35mm
    The F2 was a refinement of the original:
    1. Modern battery in body
    2. Improved film advance lever
    3. Shutter location
    4. Slow shutter speeds
    5. 1/2000 speed
    6. MLU
    7. Hinged back

With the plain prism, you get the same unobstructed view of the original.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin