Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,548   Online: 964

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are interchangeable after a certain serial number on the Fs. There's some webpage out there that has every minute detail on this, so you can search on it. Personally I think the old school Nikon name plate looks the best with the F and the F plain prism is sharper which matches the body better.

Probably the best of both worlds would be the Nikon F Apollo variation which uses an F2 style advance lever. These aren't too hard to find either. That being said I believe it's just the lever. The throw and internals are the same as a standard F.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    F3 with MD-4, all the way. The F3 is a pig without the motor drive, but together they make the best-balanced camera I've ever held.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Say what? The F3 is a small camera. I think "pig" would be more along the lines of an F5 or F6.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    those would be "hogs"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an F3 and would never describe it as a pig, it is one of the best balanced and best feeling cameras I've used. To the OP, I have both the F3 and an F and the F3 is definitely more refined, however it has a clunky on off switch that I constantly am flipping off by accident. I use my F at least as much and it feels like an old friend in my hands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've owned in the past an F, F2, and F3, from new and never considered the F3 had the class, mojo, and feeling of general indestructibility of the two previous models, I sold the F3 after about three months and have never regretted it.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    You can actually leave the power switch for the Nikon F3 in the "on" position at all times. The camera will automatically turn the meter off after 16 seconds after your finger is removed from the shutter release button. A light touch on the release button will turn the meter on again. Here's a site that explains that procedure:
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...mls/index3.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    The Nikon F3 was in continuous production for 21 years, from 1980 to 2001, longer than any other "F" series professional camera model. There's a reason for that long run, the camera was used by many professional photographers, who aren't renowned for "tender" use of their equipment. Like the old Timex wrist watches, the Nikon F3 could "take a licking and keep on ticking"... Whether or not the camera had a "feeling of general indestructibility" or not, it was very reliable in actual use.

Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    I didn't mean the F3 was huge, I mean it handles badly. The balance is just awful. Real top-heavy. It's pretty clear that it was designed with the motor drive in mind.

That said, the F3 is not a small camera. A Leica is a small camera. An OM is a small camera.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    My idea of "refined" is no-nonsense, reliability, compactness, and no battery dependence. So my favorite is the FM2n. I also have an FM3a,
    but even it has a few too many bells and whistles, and I don't like the meter as well (though I normally use a handheld spotmeter).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin