Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,386   Online: 792

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which Nikon F do you feel is the most refined?

I'm talking about feel. I'm interested in a MF Nikon and so I am thinking F-F3. Well I have an F with photonic head and it feels a bit clunky and so I am thinking of maybe getting a plain prism on an F2 or maybe just an F3. The "problem" with the F3 is that I don't need the meter and would prefer a mechanical shutter but for this camera, I might make an exception.

From my distant memory I think that the F3 felt more refined but I haven't handled one in a long time and have never owned the two at the same time (I usually own one SLR at a time).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go for the F2 with the plain prism, it handles better than the F they improved the handling by moving the shutter release button further forward towards the lens mount, rounding the corners of the body, and shortening the winding lever stroke
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably the F2, with it's rounded-off corners. Basically it's an F with an extra shutter speed and a few other refinements. But for me, nothing beats an F with the plain prism. I have the FTN finder for when I need TTL metering (macro), but it's the plain prism which lives on the camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've owned two Nikon manual focus cameras, the original F camera with a plain pentaprism viewfinder and a Nikon F3HP. I definitely would vote for the F3HP as the most "refined" manual focus Nikon that I've owned/used. I've been pretty much into digital photography since about 2005 (also with Nikon DSLR's), but I recently loaded up my Nikon F3HP with some film and I'm looking forward to seeing the results! The camera's functions (for a camera purchased in 1983) are working properly and it appears just as efficient as ever.

Here's an interesting review of the Nikon F3HP from a recent issue of Shutterbug magazine: http://www.shutterbug.com/content/sa...-35mm-slr-saga

Jim

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As a rangefinder user, I am not the best person to comment on this thread, but I do own a Nikon FM2 which is nice and chunky.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a plain prism for you F, or an F2 with a plain prism. The problem is that the plain prisms on either are scarce compared with the Photomic head. But then I like early F's from a nostalgic point of view. The best 'F' I have ever had is, I think, the F3, which doesn't help with your question.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    F2
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a plain prism F and F3 and like both. My F is beat up pretty bad - shutter button position never bothered me on the F. The film advance lever on the F3 is very very nice though - nothing better from nikon if you ask me.

I like the idea of the F being totally mechanical....but film advance feels like there is a hump about 2/3's the way through, and the lever itself feels very thin somehow. Every time I advance the film on the F it sorta feels like the lever could snap. And the F is bottom load on the film, sort of a pain if you go through film fast and are used to a film door. Another thing, the viewfinder on the F is somehow nicer than the F3 to me. Seems bigger or brighter.
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Nikon F2 is the finest fit and finish camera to ever come out of Japan.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Both are fine cameras. More important: which one feels & handles best in your hands?
    If it's just a matter of money, I'm guessing you'll find a cheaper F3 sooner than the F prism.
    If this all doesn't matter, I would go for the oldest camera system just becouse I can and the history of it.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin