Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,598   Online: 905

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

My first films...advice appreciated :)

I have recently purchased a Pentax k1000, and a P30n. I shot 4 films, 3 kentmere 400 b&w and 1 Fomapan b&w. I am aware i have a lot to learn, and am the definition of an amateur photographer. Therefore i wasn't sure what to expect, but nevertheless the results disappointed me. This may somewhat be down to the results i have seen from other people using the same cameras as me. I don't know whether or not the unsatisfactory results were down to me (i did use one of the kentmere 400s on a sunny day), the film, something to do with the cameras, or the photo lab i used. A few slides were blank white, and a few had parts whited out. A lack of quality, and sharpness is also apparent. If anyone could shed some light, in the form of friendly advice or even recommending a helpful book/article to help me understand better, it could be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers, Pete
    (the photos attached are examples of above problems)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNV00011.JPG   CNV00014.JPG   CNV00079.JPG   CNV00064.JPG   CNV00033.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    are these negative or print scans? Done by you or the lab? looks mostly like terrible scans to me
    steve barry
    my stuff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    They look like bad scans to me. That, and those two films can be very grainy/contrasty depending on developer, etc. Don't go cheap on film. There's better places to save money.
    K.S. Klain

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Could you also describe your metering and shooting technique? Photo 4-5 need a yellow or orange filter to bring more definition to the skies and photo 3 is a light leak, possibly in the camera. Did you develop yourself or a lab?
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    35mm
    Judging by the size of the dust threads, these are negative scans, and according to the EXIF info they're done with a Fuji Frontier SP-3000 minilab scanner.

At first glance the grain is quite terrible and also looks smeared. I suspect an incorrectly configured scanner - perhaps infrared dust removal was switched on, or excessive grain smoothing was applied.

If you can, try to do some scans yourself with dust removal, grain removal & sharpening switched off, and see if you get better results. (Or even better, optical prints, if you have access to a darkroom.) 100 & 400 ISO films should be capable of better than this.

If photo 3 is the first shot on a roll, it could simply be fogging from when you inserted the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Technical issues aside for a moment, I really like your compositions in frames #2 and #4.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

—Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look good too me!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The scans do look pretty rough, but I like the compositions and the exposures seem good; I'd say you're off to a fine start. It's hard to tell if the negatives really are unsharp or if it's just the scans. What lenses are you using?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    They were developed by ds colour labs. I don't really know my shooting technique.. Amateur remember! Could anyone recommend a good colour film? And if possible a good UK lab?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Technical issues aside for a moment, I really like your compositions in frames #2 and #4.

Ken
    Yep, looks like he has a good eye.

Pete, do you have an instruction manual for your camera? Also, what is a "P30n"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin