Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,865   Online: 865

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FM3a has two advantages over other nikon bodies:

1) compared to all other manual nikon bodies - it is practically new body, so chance to get bad sample is really small --> FM3a will serve you for 20-30 years at least (when FM, FM2, F, F2 were new same applied for those bodies)
    2) Only camera on planet that has aperture priority and all manual shutter speeds when battery dies.

Of course it is expensive. In a way it is like Leica: great but expensive - but if money is not a problem, go for it .

ps. I don't have FM3a - I have F bodies - it is because FM3a does not have 100% viewfinder - that is a must for me.
    Last edited by darkosaric; 06-28-2013 at 08:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingartemis View Post
    Any reason why?
    All great cameras, something different, much less expensive. I've shot Nikons for 30+ years. Only recently tried the F2. To me the F2 is the best Nikon body ever. Wish I'd figured that out before now!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Checked out your camera on google. Nice little unit.

Todd

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    FM3a has two advantages over other nikon bodies:

1) compared to all other manual nikon bodies - it is practically new body, so chance to get bad sample is really small --> FM3a will serve you for 20-30 years at least (when FM, FM2, F, F2 were new same applied for those bodies)
    2) Only camera on planet that has aperture priority and all manual shutter speeds when battery dies.

Of course it is expensive. In a way it is like Leica: great but expensive - but if money is not a problem, go for it .

ps. I don't have FM3a - I have F bodies - it is because FM3a does not have 100% viewfinder - that is a must for me.
    Plus the FM3A is pointy like the F & F2 . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FE2 has 95% of what FM3a has at a fraction of the price.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    FE2 has 95% of what FM3a has at a fraction of the price.
    And the FE2 has an extended lower shutter speeds on the dial that the FM3A doesn't have . . . but only has X and B when batteries die.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you need/want another body in general, (and don't need the TTL flash) FM2n and a ton of film. But if you're wanting another FM2n for backup / replacement, then go for it. It's your decision, and yours alone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like there's ample reason amongst sheer joy, replacement, investment or gift to kids. What the heck, grab another FM3a now...plenty of time later to establish rationale! I've been an FM/2n/3a shooter for ages but really like the 3a an awful lot. Can't fault you for wanting another. We have our share of bodies.

Shooter
    35mm
    FM3a isn't that much better than the FM/FE series and not as good as the F series but have a pair of black and chrome would be nice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamingartemis View Post
    Madness I know, but I simply love my current Nikon Fm3a and I'm thinking of getting a second unit for the sheer joy of having one incase my current own conks out (blesphemy I know!). Or maybe I could save it for future investment or as a possible future gift to my children in the future .

What do you think?
    I simply love my current Nikon Fm3a
    as a collector I can advise you that 1 only buy NIB units 2 DO NOT USE IT

if you can not follow these rules for investment cameras then don't buy. FM3a bodies in used condition are just that, used cameras and are not worth the price they are bringing right now. Any FM3a purchase right now that is not a NIB unit is a waste of money if you are looking for an investment, prices are dropping and will go lower for quite a while.Even a NIB camera right now that runs 1200-2000 will only be worth about that much 20-30 years from now.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin