Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,701   Online: 795

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having been educated in Nam, situation awareness is your friend, I probably take it to the extreme but it paid off about 10 years ago in a popular park here. I doubt most would be thieves have a clue to any camera value much less knowing film from digital.

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I was once going to buy Urban Disguise 30 bag Dave, until my wife said " it looks like a laptop bag Ben, and you are more likely to get mugged if they think you have a laptop than your film cameras"
    True, although the #30 (and smaller) are pretty small to contain a laptop -- but now with today's tablets, I suppose it could be more eyecatching.

It's amusing in hindsight, I agonized over being inconspicuous in dress and camera gear before my first trip to Italy and carefully worked out a rig. After i got there, I found places like Venice were crowded with Asian tourists bearing huge DSLRs and camcorders, hung on straps emblazoned with the brand name. I had no problems -- and surely the miscreants would hit them first!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by one90guy View Post
    Having been educated in Nam, situation awareness is your friend, I probably take it to the extreme but it paid off about 10 years ago in a popular park here. I doubt most would be thieves have a clue to any camera value much less knowing film from digital.

David
    That's a very good point. Even when peering through the viewfinder, you can be aware - sight is only one of your six physical senses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    As long as you're not carrying the latest prosumer DSLR with it's manufacturer's name emblazoned on the strap, you're probably pretty safe. Street theives only steal what they can spend, snort, drink, smoke, or sell immediately.
    Are camera thieves like bike thieves? Bike thieves come in two types--pros who know what's worth stealing, and amateurs who will take anything not sufficiently locked down. And "anything" means even the most beat POS if they think they can get $20 for it, because a stolen bike is easy to unload. They don't really care about the brand, if it's new, or nice, or anything really. It's mainly about opportunity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually just throw a cloth camera wrap around whatever I choose to shoot that day, and toss that into a messenger bag that I put some adheasive foam padding into on the bottom. Sometimes I will just carry the wrapped camera on my shoulder, and fold away the wrap into my back pocket, or tuck it into my jacket when I get to an area I want to shoot in. The wrap makes it looks a bit like a murse haha. I have been leaning toward waxed canvas for a the last 3-4 years now, in the past it was ripstop and waterproof nylon but the canvas is really nice when broken in and doesnt scream camera bag. One other thing, those gaudy big camera straps with the company logos across it should be left off the camera, nothing screams look at my and my camera than those straps from a block away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use multiple methods depending on situations....

I have a giant cooler in my trunk with soft cloths at the bottom. If I have to leave my camera equipment in my car for few hours, that's where it goes. I know, even in Florida, it's perfectly safe for few hours. There is NO ice in it, by the way....

If I'm *just* carrying a camera body and a lens, I either carry it on my shoulder exposed if it's going to be an active shooting day, or put it in a single camera case if I feel the need to protect it. If I have multiple "stuff", I might choose to use my small camera bag with 3 slots or a backpack. I have a giant multi-camera camera-bag but I never use it. It's too big, too heavy, and I don't have an assistant.

Cooler is a pretty good choice. It's rugged, cheap, and no one suspects there are expensive stuff in it.

One day, I was carrying my F100 with a pair of f/2.8 pro lenses in a public park. A lady walked up to me and asked, how much would something like that cost? She was well dressed and courteous but it made me nervous. I said, "oh, it's a film camera... it's worth nothing." I left that area quickly.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My carry around camera is a Hexar RF. It has been over a year since anyone asked me about it or even looked at it. I have to thank all those "wanna be's" out there with their huge DSLR's and mega zooms for taking all the attention off of me! Seriously though, just take the camera you want. If someone is going to steal it, they will. It doesn't happen all that often anyway. Thieves will take an unattended bag but very rarely take it from your person.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Lowepro Mini Trekker, I think that's the model, for my Pentax 645 kit. Pretty heavy! For 35mm or - gasp! - digital I have the $35 backpack that Amazon sells. What a deal! For walkabout casual use I scored a little Lowepro shoulder bag for only $10 which has enough room for 2 lenses and a flash, plus some film, etc. One thing I would never buy is a bag proclaiming the camera name. Why advertise steal me?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you put your camera in a bag you are probably going to be screaming "I missed the shot", which is infinitely worse than being seen as a photographer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    If you put your camera in a bag you are probably going to be screaming "I missed the shot", which is infinitely worse than being seen as a photographer.
    That's one reason I’m giving a strap a shot. I Havn't used one in the past, but ill give it a go.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin