Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,161   Online: 795

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The OP asks a very important question and I have probably been avoiding an answer to this post as I am not sure I carry mine in the best way. I tend to carry my camera in a camera bag, but when in an area I think there may be a picture I carry it around my neck or with the strap twisted in my hand. Having the camera ready, pre-focused and at the correct aperture/speed for the subject allows fast speed of use. Easy to say on paper, but when framing a composition with moving elements within the frame at speed, a million times more difficult to do in practice.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i carry my cameras around my neck... as was mentioned before, i hate carrying stuff in the bag... especially when i put it away and take it out 5 times in a few minutes. I agree with the rest, camera bags of any kind, just bring more attention. backpacks bring just as much attention. And as long as it's not digital, or left unattended, i think you'll be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Martin Crabtree's method - 6'5" and dressed like a peacock. Everyone notices me and no one bothers me. I couldn't be inconspicuous if I wanted to.

I carry my camera around my neck on a bright Pentax stap. I don't actually own a Pentax but it is the most comfortable strap I have come across.

My only camera I do not do this with is my Voigtlander Vitomatic II - it has no strap lugs so I just hold it in my hand. If someone was to be foolish, a Vitomatic applied to the side of the head will change their minds for them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I carry my camera in my hand with a wrist strap, and have my camera bag over my shoulder.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I went out yesterday with just my camera and strap, no bag, and it became a conversation piece. They were a bit shocked that it was film and that I developed it. The good word of film was spread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you go out with a camera just on a strap, it's a good idea to carry a plastic pedal bin liner in your pocket in case it rains.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spoken like a true Englishman, Bejiboy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A black Domke canvas bag either naturally aged through years of use and abuse is my preference. A new one can be artificially aged by repeated machine washing to develop a stone washed look which garners less glances I think than a shiny ballistic bag of bright colors.

Domke bags are relatively unobtrusive, especially if you stay away from designer colors that scream camera gear. I usually have a water bottle and notebook visible so it looks more like a book bag than a camera sack. The dividers are also well-padded to protect the contents. I also take some gaffers tape and black-out the Domke name on the side flaps.

At one point when I seriously considered the same issue, I came up with using a somewhat worn diaper bag as being the last thing in the world some misguided thief would want to boost off my shoulder. [Please don't ask me if it would be scented or unscented, either one should do fine I think].
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If you go out with a camera just on a strap, it's a good idea to carry a plastic pedal bin liner in your pocket in case it rains.
    I try to always carry a plastic shopping bag, just to be careful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    Spoken like a true Englishman, Bejiboy!
    England isn't the only place in the World where it rains
    Ben

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin