Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,707   Online: 964

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends. When used with a motor-drive, I like to carry it by just the wrist strap attached to the grip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The camera system I happen to decide to shoot with at the time generally will determine my choice of bags. If I decide to shoot with the M6, I stuff the 35mm and 90mm Summicrons, and a couple of rolls of HP5/Tri-x in a well-worn khaki Billingham allegedly designed for Leicas; the camera, with a 50mm mounted on it hangs around my neck. If I opt to take out the Nikons for the day, I stuff what I anticipate needing in a decidedly soiled blue Domke F2; again, the camera (an F2/F3/F5/F6), with lens, hangs around my neck. With one exception, in Atlanta, GA, many years back, I have never been bothered by anyone. And Matt King can tell you about some of the denizens who inhabit East Van...
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    don't worry about the value of the camera -- i regularly carry camera gear worth a coupla thousand around -- leica -- and even in san francisco's seamy section never had a problem -- usual care is advised, a closed bag, a strap around your wrist or neck, and so on ... but generally speaking crooks want cameras they can sell easily and old timey gear doesn't match that -- as to damage, cameras are made to be used, a good strap, a padded bag, your camera will be fine. Try not to trip.

worst happens? $400 won't even buy a low-end DSLR but it will buy you another Leica R body.

my preferred bag of choice is an old swiss army gas mask bag. Doesn't look at all worth stealing, and a leica CL looks like a cheap point and shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know another shooter who takes a piece of piano wire and using black electricians tape, tapes it to the inside of his camera strap to prevent someone from cutting the strap, snatching the camera and running for the hills. He lost one to that technique in Italy several years ago. I guess it can happen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    I know another shooter who takes a piece of piano wire and using black electricians tape, tapes it to the inside of his camera strap to prevent someone from cutting the strap, snatching the camera and running for the hills. He lost one to that technique in Italy several years ago. I guess it can happen.
    I don't recall the brand, but I've seen ads for at least one company that makes a series of straps and bags with embedded steel wire in them for defense against this sort of thing. And I don't doubt that cutting business happens, but some people are pretty loose in the way they handle and display their possessions; we're back to needing that 'situational awareness' mentioned above.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is this what your thinking of Dave?

http://pacsafe.com/carrysafe-100-ant...t-camera-strap

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    England isn't the only place in the World where it rains
    Of course it is.

There is no way that my Ohio back yard has had 3-4 inches of rain this week.
    (Or as NOAA phrases forecasts, "except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.")

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zackesch View Post
    Is this what your thinking of Dave?

http://pacsafe.com/carrysafe-100-ant...t-camera-strap

That looks like it, yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's not in my hands (which it is 99% of the time) I carry whatever camera I have slung across my neck so that it rests on the right side of my hip. This pertains to my Leica, my Nikons, my Rollei, and my Hasselblad.

I only take a bag if I'm carrying more than one body, or plan on picking up other things. My camera bag carries things that aren't cameras more often than cameras (water bottle, granola bars, matches, extra film, phone charger, etc.)
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin