Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,406   Online: 702

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

carrying your camera

I am starting to take my steps into taking my photography a bit more seriously. I would like to start bringing one with me. I have a canon Elan II with a cannon 50 1.4 attached and a K1000 on in the mail. The K1000 was picked up with the intention of being my carry around, not quite comfortable toting around my $400 prime. How do you carry your camera when you are out and about? There are times where I have a messenger bag with me, but I'm a bit uneasy of it being bashed in the bag. On the other hand, I very much like the simple and retro look of the Domke 1" tan strap worn as a sling. My intention is a way to safely carry my camera without screaming photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In warmer weather no one would be surprised if you were carrying a small soft-side cooler. Lightly padded, moderately water resistant, anonymous, and cheap. You could always add a little extra padding internally.

Of course the tripod will probably give you away!
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    When I do carry my Sirui tripod, the one that folds up nice and compact, it fits nicely in my messenger bag. There is a divider in it so my camera is in one side and tripod in the other.

Do people really take notice when a strap is used and the camera is out in the open?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zackesch View Post
    The K1000 was picked up with the intention of being my carry around, not quite comfortable toting around my $400 prime.
    I'll start by encouraging you to use the Canon camera and lens that you have.

Only you and other photographers know what the price of a used lens might be.

And a lens is worthless if it isn't with you.

And $400.00 is a tiny sum compared to what a huge number of photographers are carrying around now.

And if your camera doesn't look like an expensive digital camera, most thieves probably aren't interested.

All of which is to say: it should be a rare circumstance indeed where you should leave your camera or lens behind because of its monetary value - at least not at this price point.

Getting back to your otherwise excellent question - I prefer to keep cameras and lenses and accessories and film in multi-purpose camera bags that I carry over my shoulder. I would caution you though that many of us here suffer from an affliction that is closely related to the dreaded G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

That affliction is known by several names, but I tend to refer to it as "camerabag-itis". It manifests itself by causing photographers to own way too many camera bags. You will know you are a sufferer when you have empty or near empty bags, but are still looking for that one, single bag that meets all your needs.

We sufferers can be seen moving camera bodies, lenses, accessories and film from bag, to bag, to bag ...

And spending inordinate amounts of time searching the bags we have for the accessory we are sure we had stored with that lens or this body.

Seeing all the bags I have and noting the space they tend to consume, my wife has threatened an intervention, but so far I've been able to dissuade her.

Good luck resisting the urge.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I carry my FE on my shoulder when in use. Then put it my back pack camera bag when done shooting. Don't much like pulling in and out of bag each time I see something. You are a photopher, and feel pride in shooting film. Oh.. lowepro makes an nice simple cross body bag and it,s available at Walley world.

ToddB

Shooter
    35mm
    Thinking about it, I can give the strap a test run by using my gym bag strap and 2 keyrings. Its an inch and a half black strap. If I like it, ill spring for a domke.

Matt, Shortly after I picked up my Rebel XT in 2010, I got sucked into GAS. The more I read on the subject, the more I felt I needed. With all the reading, I didn't have the right gear, right software, outdated body...etc. Simply put, it was over whelming. I stumbled on film via youtube . I was bitten by the bug and never looked back. With digital, I found out that I very much liked 50mm.

The main reason I switched to film is the simplicity of it compared to digital, not to mention its nice not to sit behind a monitor because I’m already there 8hrs a day, machine design. I feel no need to have buku amounts of gear any more. I am happy with my elanII and excited for my K1000. Outside of that, I'd rather put my money towards film and paper.
    Last edited by zackesch; 06-30-2013 at 08:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'll start by encouraging you to use the Canon camera and lens that you have.

Only you and other photographers know what the price of a used lens might be.

And a lens is worthless if it isn't with you.

And $400.00 is a tiny sum compared to what a huge number of photographers are carrying around now.

And if your camera doesn't look like an expensive digital camera, most thieves probably aren't interested.

All of which is to say: it should be a rare circumstance indeed where you should leave your camera or lens behind because of its monetary value - at least not at this price point.

Getting back to your otherwise excellent question - I prefer to keep cameras and lenses and accessories and film in multi-purpose camera bags that I carry over my shoulder. I would caution you though that many of us here suffer from an affliction that is closely related to the dreaded G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

That affliction is known by several names, but I tend to refer to it as "camerabag-itis". It manifests itself by causing photographers to own way too many camera bags. You will know you are a sufferer when you have empty or near empty bags, but are still looking for that one, single bag that meets all your needs.

We sufferers can be seen moving camera bodies, lenses, accessories and film from bag, to bag, to bag ...

And spending inordinate amounts of time searching the bags we have for the accessory we are sure we had stored with that lens or this body.

Seeing all the bags I have and noting the space they tend to consume, my wife has threatened an intervention, but so far I've been able to dissuade her.

Good luck resisting the urge.
    Damn!!! As if NAS wasn't bad enough, now you tell me of another ailment I have.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I carry my F5 everywhere. Only the lens that's on it,usually a 28-85 F3.5-5.6 zoom. The only caveat is it rarely leaves my hand let alone my sight. I have a shelf at work where the camera lives whatever one it is and the general public isn't allowed there. Most people aren't thieves and if cautious you can carry around whatever you want. If a man with a gun wants the camera he's going to get hit with the F5. It'll crush his skull. The others aren't quite as beefy.

Oh and I ride a motorcycle for transportation most of the time. The camera stays in a tank bag while riding. Well padded by a small camera bag it barely fits in.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do a lot of photography on city streets or while traveling. My main camera is a Nikon F3HP with the MD-4 motor drive. Usually I have a 50mm f/1.4 on the camera, and if that's all I'm carrying, I carry it in the open on a Domke Gripper strap over my shoulder. If I'm traveling, my whole Nikon kit (just the F3 as above, plus a 28mm f/2.8 and 135mm f/3.5 and a couple filters) go in padded inserts that fit in a Domke 803 messenger bag (my usual carry-on bag). I can cram a ton of stuff into that bag, aside from camera gear: phone, computer, books, clothes, travel stuff... it's remarkable how much abuse it will take!

And it doesn't really look like a camera bag. Mine in particular is very beat up, with patches, tears that I've sewn up, and stains from travel.

My second camera is a Yashica Lynx 5000e rangefinder with a fixed 45mm f/1.8 lens, and I store that in a Domke F5xb bag, but when I'm using it I just carry it in the open on a shoulder strap.

I have carried these camera in all sorts of places, many where I was cautioned not to take a camera or not to take pictures at all, but I've had no problems whatsoever in those places so I don't know what the fuss is really about. But it makes sense to take some care while traveling.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are right handed, hold it in your right hand. If you are left handed, hold it in your left hand. The key is becoming comfortable with a camera that fits into your hand.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin