Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,321   Online: 1078

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's why I'm asking about your shutter speed.

It was bright sunny weekend. I shot some of people in University area. I like Bokah effect with my pics. So I think it was at 500 sp @ 2.8 or 1000 @ 1.4. The internal meter should have reflected that it had the filter on it.. right?

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm really tempted to do roll with a test method. Between the two lenses.

Todd

Shooter
    127 Format
    Bokeh is overrated.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Bokeh is overrated.
    You can say that again. The term also often seems to be misused to mean "shallow DOF".

To the OP, is it possible that you simply didn't focus properly on what you wanted to be sharp? At f:1.4, there isn't much DOF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take off the polarizer and shoot another roll with the 50/1.4. Use all apertures too. And don't expect a 1960's-vintage lens to be tack-sharp at F1.4. All fast, normal lenses from that era will show some spherical aberration, coma, etc, when shot wide-open. Not that that's always a bad thing. The "soft" look can make for some nice portraits.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Take off the polarizer and shoot another roll with the 50/1.4. Use all apertures too. And don't expect a 1960's-vintage lens to be tack-sharp at F1.4. All fast, normal lenses from that era will show some spherical aberration, coma, etc, when shot wide-open. Not that that's always a bad thing. The "soft" look can make for some nice portraits.

Jim B.
    Yes, the pre AI 50/1.4 Nikkor-S wasn't very sharp at 1.4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    I'm really tempted to do roll with a test method. Between the two lenses.
    Good idea!

Yes, the meter would compensate for the loss of light from a filter automatically. What the meter cannot do is automatically advise when you are using a shutter speed too slow for effective hand-holding (which does not appear to be the situation if you used 1/500 and 1/1000) or enough depth-of-field. Seriously consider what Emil asked in post 14 about your focusing... it is not easy when DOF is sliver thin.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Every camera lens will have some apertures better then others. I've had lenses that were sharper from either one end to another. I always test my lens by running a roll thru the apertures on a tripod in constant light. If I find uneven exposures when there should not be I know it could be a bad shutter speed.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    If i remember right this is a f/1.4 or f/2 shot with a 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor-S pre-AI lens. No filter. You should be getting something like this. Edit: Forgot to mention; Ilford Delta 400 developed in XTOL. Nikon F Photomic FTn.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Posting two images from each lens

Hey guys,
    which one do you think has clarity?

Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin