Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,368   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kind of disappointed.

Hey guys, Maybe you can confirm something for me. Most of you know about my Nikon FE. Well.. It came with standard 50mm 1.8 lens. Then I went out and found a vintage 50mm 1.4 lens cira 60's. I shot a roll with the 1.4 lens with circular polarizer on it, souped up film this sunday and the images weren't that clear? Do you think it was the circular polarizer that infered with image quality? Thats the first time I used it for general photography. I didn't use Cir Polar on 1.8 lens and I didn't have any issus shooting that lens but never use Cir Pol filter on that. So .. do you guys think that the 1.8 lens is a better lens overall?

ToddB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First, post examples of what's wrong with the images. It could be any number of things ranging from a dirty filter to a misaligned lens to user error. Circular polarizers in themselves are not problematic - I shot with one on my Hasselblad for years with no degradation of image quality. So it could be the specific example of a filter you have in your posession.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Were you shooting @1.4? I have trouble getting things tack sharp with my 1.8 every now and again, but thats my fault.... Were the images completely "soft"? What brand of filter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also give some hints about your film, aperture, shutter speed, etc. I've never had such a compliant with my FE unless shooting at too slow of a shutter speed.

p.s. I would not use a circ polarizer as a general purpose filter - why are you doing that?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    p.s. I would not use a circ polarizer as a general purpose filter - why are you doing that?

SP most of you know that you can turn it off and on by rotating it (obviously).. so I figured I would leave it on for a roll on the 1.4. I'll post a couple of pics tonight.

Todd

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can't turn off a single polarizer. All you can do is change its effect due to the polarisation angle of the incident polarized light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The question was, "why use a polarizer as a general purpose filter?" Are you trying to slow down the shutter speed by taking advantage of the filter factor, or some other reason??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe the term "Turning off" was not the right way to discribe it. Sorry. I'll post a couple pics tonight and show you guys. It was the first time my confidence was shaken with this camera since I was shooting with it.

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The question was, "why use a polarizer as a general purpose filter?" Are you trying to slow down the shutter speed by taking advantage of the filter factor, or some other reason??

I've been away filter use for sometime..Speed a property of CP filters?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Every filter has a filter factor - loss of light. Loss of light leads to shorter shutter speeds if not compensated by larger aperture. Remember? I think all polarizers have a filter factor of 3 or 4... about 2 stops (from memory... so check me on that) loss of light almost automatically. That's why I'm asking about your shutter speed.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 07-01-2013 at 09:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin