Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,196   Online: 854

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For reference;

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ity/index4.htm

Its the Shutter Charging Motor. Repair was 175 the last time I did it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    It's one of the four DC motors that the F4 uses, the one that charges the aperture lever AND one cycle of set of shutter blades.

I've had this happen twice to one body, fixed once, and once to another body. Still awaiting diversion of repair budget on that one.

Funny enough, my former shooting partner with two F4 with nearly same amount of wear (5-7 years of hard wedding use) it has not happened.

I attribute this to my use of Continuous High motor setting *every time* and her use of Single *every time*.

As I know it and you can search it, the stepping of the motors is different in S, Cs, CL and Ch.

I'm certain that my constant use of Ch has led to this.
    I didn't know that the motor does the stop down of the lens. I thought although the motor would charge the shutter mechanism but then after that it's spring operated. I love the high speed motor drive in both my F3 and F5 but I never use the continuous mode. I always have them on S mode.

Shooter
    35mm
    My F4 had the same issue; it took me a long time to figure it out. I eventually jammed the depth-of-field preview button in, and shot it that way for years. Good times. If you don't want to MacGyver your camera like I did, you can still meter and shoot by remembering to press the depth-of-field preview button during exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you need a really top notch Nikon repair shop to do a CLA on the body, check out these guys:
    http://www.midwestcamera.com/classic.html

I've never had a problem with them or one they couldn't fix on an F2A, F2, F4 and all the little Nikkors in the family. It's where I've sent my gear for preventive maintenance for years and years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen, a stop down lever with a groove worn into it and on another occasion one that was bent upwards. The bottom of the lever should be parallel to the bottom of the camera.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This happened to my F4 that I've had from new. I unknowingly used a lens on it that had oily, sticky, stuck aperture blades. Repair cost on the body's aperture control mechanism was less than $200 if I remember correctly.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure if you had fixed this. I had the same problem and solved it like this:
    1. Remove the lens.
    2. Take some lighter fluid and a small paint brush.
    3. Dampen the brush with lighter fluid
    4. Brush the inside of the lower shaft.
    5. Do this again on the shaft on the left of the mount.
    6. Put the lens on.
    7. Stop down the lens manually a few times.
    8. Set the aperture on the lens at minimum.
    9. With the shutter set to 1-2 sec, fire it and watch the aperture blades.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Is this On the Lens or On the Body?
    Where are you putting the brush on #4?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the delayed response. Apply the cleaning in the shaft show at the photo bellow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0398.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	75921

Drip the brush with lighter fluid and apply it there. Lock the camera to prevent any accidents during work in that area.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello,
    this is my first post and i registered here only ( for moment ) for this issue: aperture lever problem.
    This problem rise from wear, loose strength of the spring who drive the aperture lever combined with lubrication problems of some gears.
    For functionality restoration partial dissasembling is needed. I do that and my cameras work fine now . I have 8 Nikon F4. Some are for spare patrs but i have 2 in near mint condition and 1 UNUSED !
    I know what i say about aperture lever repair.
    If anybody want to try doing this work i will make complete tutorial here.
    Please say what is your choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin