Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,932   Online: 813

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a 50/1.4 converted by John White and it came out great. I wanted to be able to use it on my Nikomat FTn or my F3 without having to remember to fold down the AI sense tab.

John does nice work and the lens was back here within the week. Well worth the money.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I agree with the last post, John did a great job on my three lenses, with fast turnaround.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, but, for the most part, they were installed by repair shops or by a Nikon service facility. So, they were still not really AI. Even the final batch of 85/1.8 K version Nikkors were still not real AI lenses, even though they all came with a #37 ring attached from the factory. They don't have the lens speed sensing post.

The only "real" AI lens I now own happens to be a factory AI'd 28/3.5 Nikkor-H that I had someone modify the rear element baffle so it wouldn't damage my previous F4 body. Turns out that the modified section correctly engages the cam inside the mirror box and registers a max. speed of f/3.5... It's still not a real AI lens, since it wasn't made between 1977 and 1982, instead dating from the 1969-70 time period.

Re: value, KEH seems to value even the milled aperture ring AI converted lenses higher than the unmodified lenses. Granted, anything with a factory style AI ring is called a "real" AI lens by them. Even when it's blatantly obvious that the lens isn't.

I usually troll evilBay and KEH, looking for ugly condition factory AI'd lenses (or in the case of K-version lenses that had an AI version, factory AI lenses). Then, I find a nice condition pre-AI lens in the correct serial number range and do the switcheroo. Takes about 10 minutes to do on the more complicated lenses, and maybe 3-5 minutes on the easy ones. Sometimes less, like on the 135/3.5 late model Q and Q.C lenses.

-J

Quote Originally Posted by kitanikon View Post
    Re: John_Nikon_F and Xmas...some PRE-AI "K" lenses were available with factory AI aperture rings...e.g. 135mm/2.8 Q.C and 85/1.8K, both of which I have...I think they are less available than their non-AI versions, so they'd be worth more I should think...

...and I would think that the market value of lenses converted with the "cut" notch at the rear of the aperture ring (I have one of those too) would likely be worth less than OEM...but its value to the owner/user is another matter of course....

In some cases it may be cost-effective to convert a lens...in other cases it may be cheaper to get the factory-AI version and sell the non-AI lens.
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn, FT2
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/2 K, 50/1.4 AI, 55/3.5 Micro PC, 85/1.8 K, 105/2.5 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    From what i see it's just better to buy a 50mm ai lens then to monkey around with buying a beater and doing the switcharoo. Shipping will get you in the end on the long way around.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm RF
    John...
    RE: lens speed sensing post
    Isn't that the AI-S Speed indexing post? I.E. The S in AI-S? I've always been a bit confused with AI/AIS aperture rings...with the 3 differences...the notch/slot, the "ridge", and the post...not to mention the concave/slot cut into the mount at the rear...
    All must have different functions, but I have little experience with the more advanced Nikon bodies that make use each of these features...
    Thanks for clarifying them...if you would...

Wayne...Yes...if you're not in a hurry or in a MUST-HAVE situation, then patience is a money-saving virtue...
    over a 1 year span....of circumstance, happenstance, and just plain luck...
    When I had to sell my 85/2 I found a beater 85/1.8 for less than 1/2 the price, and
    Then found another pristine 1.8 for only a few $$$ more than I got for selling the beater...(both of which were local purchases...)
    I sold THAT beautiful "H" for 1.5x$ my cost when I found the AI'd 85-K I always wanted...which ended costing what I paid for the beater...

7 if my AI MF lenses (50-300) each cost less than $70...@ $120, only the 180ED cost more...My 60/2.8 AF was only $30 because the AF/MF switched is locked (glued?)...but I use it as an MF lens anyway...
    Last edited by kitanikon; 07-18-2013 at 07:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kitanikon
    The lens max aperture signal post is like a block on the 6 o'clock position. It is part of the AI spec. The -S specification adds the lens focal length notch at the 9 o'clock position and a linearity to aperture range.
    The only Nikon that was made to take full advantage of an AIS lens is the FA. The FG, F301 and possibly the F501 use some elements to provide the Program mode. Only the FA is capable of Shutter priority and Matrix metering with those lenses.
    The F4 uses the max aperture signal post to allow Matrix metering with AI lenses.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    Kitanikon
    The lens max aperture signal post is like a block on the 6 o'clock position. It is part of the AI spec.
    The post...Ah, the post IN THE MOUNT at the rear...I had forgotten all about the post...Thanks....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitanikon View Post
    The post...Ah, the post IN THE MOUNT at the rear...I had forgotten all about the post...Thanks....
    Yep, the same piece that I've been talking about in my past few posts... :-)

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn, FT2
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/2 K, 50/1.4 AI, 55/3.5 Micro PC, 85/1.8 K, 105/2.5 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin