Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,482   Online: 750

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Decision on Getting a Lens AI'd

So I have a late model, rubber focus ring 50mm F2 non-Ai lens that I'm considering getting AI'd to use on another camera at $35 + shipping. I've tested and like this lens as it has very good even resolution from F2.8 to F8 and is small and light. If I were to GAS Up, I'd be looking at a minimum of at least $115 for a F1.8 AI or more for a AIS at one of our favorite camera sellers. I don't need the world here, just a good lens which can sometimes be hard to find and may require going thru a few examples; And time, and shipping etc. So, if anyone had their lens AI'd maybe you can chime in with your thoughts. Money's moneys and it can always be used elsewhere, but.., a better lens is a better lens.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just sent three lenses to John White (aiconversions.com) and should have them back by Friday. Can't wait! I'll let you know how they look, if interested. It would have cost quite a bit to replace the lenses with ai versions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    So I have a late model, rubber focus ring 50mm F2 non-Ai lens that I'm considering getting AI'd to use on another camera at $35 + shipping. I've tested and like this lens as it has very good even resolution from F2.8 to F8 and is small and light. If I were to GAS Up, I'd be looking at a minimum of at least $115 for a F1.8 AI or more for a AIS at one of our favorite camera sellers. I don't need the world here, just a good lens which can sometimes be hard to find and may require going thru a few examples; And time, and shipping etc. So, if anyone had their lens AI'd maybe you can chime in with your thoughts. Money's moneys and it can always be used elsewhere, but.., a better lens is a better lens.
    If that's a late muticoated version of the 50mm Nikkor-H, and I think it is, I'd say go for it. Those are wonderful lenses - I have two of the earlier ones.

It's a simple operation, just mill a notch at the right spot on the aperture ring. I've done it with files.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah drop a line and let me know how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    I just sent three lenses to John White (aiconversions.com) and should have them back by Friday. Can't wait! I'll let you know how they look, if interested. It would have cost quite a bit to replace the lenses with ai versions.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've had John do a lens, been a while, came out nice.

Many of the older lenes have a better feel on the focus ring than the later ones, AI vs say AF-D.

The AF-D 50 1.8 is a great lens though and if your ability to focus is degrading like my ability to focus AF is going to be a future step.

The other advantage of the AF is the resale value, it may cost a $115 but you could sell it for very close to that, done it 3 times now I think with that 50 1.8 AF-D for various reasons.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just got the three lenses back from John White, and he did an awesome job! They look very neat, and all fitted nicely on my D200, so I am sure they will fit on the F100 and N90s. Metering worked, was accurate etc. In my case it was a good decision to get the Ai'd. The lenses were a 105mm f2.8, 80-200 f4.5, and 200mm f4.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I've had John do a lens, been a while, came out nice.

Many of the older lenes have a better feel on the focus ring than the later ones, AI vs say AF-D.

The AF-D 50 1.8 is a great lens though and if your ability to focus is degrading like my ability to focus AF is going to be a future step.

The other advantage of the AF is the resale value, it may cost a $115 but you could sell it for very close to that, done it 3 times now I think with that 50 1.8 AF-D for various reasons.

Well the eyes are definitely a problem at my age as I wear glasses but I still can get a pretty good focus depending on the camera and screen. For tripod work I can use a focus magnifier. I do use a 35mm F2 AF lens on the AF camera as well, just need a 50mm and I'm not partial to the new ones at all and don't need a F1.4. A new F1.8 D I bought was sent back on receipt, and on return and testing it was not up to my spec's. I don't like paying excessive shipping charges so once was enough.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    I just got the three lenses back from John White, and he did an awesome job! They look very neat, and all fitted nicely on my D200, so I am sure they will fit on the F100 and N90s. Metering worked, was accurate etc. In my case it was a good decision to get the Ai'd. The lenses were a 105mm f2.8, 80-200 f4.5, and 200mm f4.
    Did he put tape on for a aperture scale or is the aperture ring still on?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well he put tape on the non-AI aperture ring. The aperture ring is there, as are the original aperture numbers, but the tape is to supply numbers closer to the end of the lens that can be seen through the viewfinder of an AI camera. Does that answer the question?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally, I'd save the $35 and put it towards buying a 35mm Nikkor f2.8. I have the 1.4 version that's constantly on my F2's or F2AS. Sometimes I wish I had two of them. They sweet for photojournalism, scenics, crowd scenes and even informal portraiture, more so, IMHO than the 50mm series lenses. It's really versatile.

Here's what Rockwell says about the 35/f2.8 http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-28-ai.htm and which you can probably pick up for less than 100 bucks at the Bay, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-NIKKOR...item4610b7cc3f
    Last edited by Mark Feldstein; 07-04-2013 at 02:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin