Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,525   Online: 1058

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Watson film loader

My Watson loader came in the mail yesterday and there is one concern I have about it. I noticed when the light trap is moved from the open to closed position, a small gap is formed between the cover and the film bay. The cover pushes out maybe a 1/16" to 1/8". I did notice the tongue and groove to further make it light-tight. Is that normal?

Shooter
    35mm
    I just loaded my first 4 rolls and I have a few concerns. First off, The bulk roll I loaded, the seals were broken from the store. With Bulk rolls from Ilford, are the bags sealed or is one end open from the factory? Also, my other concern is when pulling the film from the light tight chamber to tape on the spool, the barrel shifted where a small amount of light could get in. Is that 100' roll trashed due to that?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm a bit confused is the bulk roll cover riding up on something when closing the tight trap. There should be a small lever interlocking the rotation of the bulk side light trap with the cassette door. The downward tab should be on the outside of the cassette door. (foggy memories from Watson days have another brand now. similar design)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it a Watson 100?
    The lever that opens the lid to the film cannister side will only operate when the light trap to the bulk roll side is closed.
    The light trap will only open/rotate if the lid to the cannister side is closed and the lever is pushed down. So you should leave the lever up while attaching film to the spool.
    ...Terry
    Last edited by Overkill-F2; 07-04-2013 at 10:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One more thing came to me this morning. When you rotate the light trap (which is also the bulk roll lid), it seems to stop just short of the fully closed position. You need to give it a little bit more of a turn to snap the light trap closed. Then the lever to open the film cassette side is free to move. I think the lever is being forced into the lid and opening up the gap you decribed because the lid needs to rotate a bit further.
    As far as the light you leaked into the bulk roll, I would pull off 2 feet and throw it away, then load one roll and test it for light leak damage.
    Good luck.
    ...Terry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear zackesh,

The door problem is likely due to the lever above the counter wheel not being down all the way. My suggestion is to learn to do the entire process inside a changing bag. It really isn't very hard (if I can do it, trust me on this, anybody can). I pre-clean 20 cartridges and put them (disassembled) in a soup bowl. I add a second bowl for the finished product. Then, without ever opening the bag, I load the film in the loader and go through the process of loading 18 cartridges counting 38 clicks per roll. I use Scotch Magic tape from a small disposable dispenser.

With a little practice, you can load an entire roll while watching a sit-com. Make sure you've used the bathroom before you start. ;>)

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the tips Neal.

I had this idea at work and quickly whipped it up. I work for a machine design and manufacturing company, so I nabbed some industrial Polycarbonate plastic thats used for guarding, ripped it in 2" widths and cut them to length using this website http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photo...ad%20bulk.html

Three lengths werse three lengths of e created: 12,24 and 35 frames. My print file sleeves hold up to 35 negs. So, what my grand Idea is with thopolycarb, ill clip one end of the bulk film flush to the end, run it the length of polycarb and cut it to length, then assemble the canister. The bathroom at home has 2 doors being perpendicular to each other, and no windows, its light tight so there is ample room for a 63" plastic stick. The reason for this idea it that its quick, simple and there can be no mechanical failures. The only mechanical items being used would be a binder clip and scissors. The other benefit is knowing the EXACT length of film It'll be simple to keep track of how much is left. Any thoughts on this method?

Shooter
    35mm
    I just bot a Watston on ebay. Mine came with a coating of black magic silicone tire coating to make it shiny. I hade to wash and re-wash the whole thing to get it off.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear zackesh,

Go for it and let us know how you fared. Personally, I always load up the entire roll so there is no need to worry about how much is left.

Neal

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Current bulk from Ilford comes in cardboard box with only a paper closure on one side - -the box says in eight languages only open in total dark.
    Inside is an unsealed black bag.
    Don't accept a box with paper closure broken...
    Id not store in fridge either.
    You can still get Kodak cine...
    the load door for cassettes for plastic I.e. non bakite Watsons should close completely without any use of force dont use force
    the rotating door can need effort but you do need to make sure the interlock is clear
    A pukka dark room is just as good and you never lose the 36 frame to the loading process...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin