Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,306   Online: 906

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikkor P 105mm f2.5, seriall number434039

I just had this lens Ai'd and, testing it out, I find it to be quite soft at full aperture. The chap who Ai'd it did note to me that the lens rattles a bit (this was so before I shipped it to him). I decided to Ai it anyway.

If I shake the lens gently, it rattles slightly, and if I hold a tissue gently against the rear element and shake it, there is no rattle.

Thus the rear element would seem to be slightly loose, and I wonder if this affects image quality.

Anyone have any idea how to tighten the rear element of this lens?

It's not a bad lens, but I was expecting a bit more...

Shooter
    35mm
    There should be an annular ring with two or more slots in it and this will tighten the pressure on the rear element. It would be far better to have a technician do the work because if you don't have the correct tool it would be easy for what you are using to slip and seriously mark the rear element.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    BMbikerider, thanks for the info. I can't see anything, is it possible that the lens mounting ring first need to be removed?

I do have a number of small camera/lens repair tools so am willing to give this a try.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the later 105 lens (AIS) and there is a ring with 4 slots each at 90 degrees to each other. There obviously has been a change with the later lens which incidentally is about my sharpest optic of the bunch.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes mine's a non Ai version, and the back is kind of closed off, I suspect that if I remove the mounting ring, all will be revealed.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a big difference between the early Sonnar version you have and the newer Double Gauss especially on the rear element.
    I think as suggested it would be better to return the lens and get it proper assembled.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not an option - I have owned it for years and paying someone to fix it would cost more than it is worth. It's OK as is - if I can't tighten the rear lens, I'll just live with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the same lens, serial 408049. It is sharp all the way through. Yours has a problem for sure.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    Not an option - I have owned it for years and paying someone to fix it would cost more than it is worth. It's OK as is - if I can't tighten the rear lens, I'll just live with it.
    Lens spanner is less than 30$ at micro-tools. Since you don't have much to lose you can dig into it. Honestly just tightening down the rear retaining ring for the last element is a 2 minute job provided its accessible. If it requires removing the rear cover well that's gonna be more work but it isn't going to require cracking open all the elements or anything.

This lens should be sharp.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well that was easy. I took off the mounting ring, and the rear element was set in a metal cylinder that just screwed/unscrewed. So I hand tightened it. If I had a rubber grip of some sort, maybe I could have tightened it a bit more.

The rattle is gone and the lens is about as sharp at 2.8 as when it is stopped down to f8. It compares in sharpness to my Nikkor 80-200 f4 when I set that at 105mm. My tests were just visual, using my D200. Film tests may be more revealing, because of the resolution limitations of the D200's 10MP cropped image sensor. I'll take the lens for a spin next time I go out with my F100.

I may try later to tighten the rear element just a bit more but it seems pretty good right now. And for once, a 15 minute easy fix!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin