Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,485   Online: 997

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll just add for clarity, I was having a joke not a sneer.

Lomo/Nikon/Deardorff/Olympus/pinhole/whatever ... chacun à son goût

Shooter
    35mm
    Long before Lomography we had a talk at our local photo club on the various effects possible with any SLR using various old lenses, magnifying glasses, etc., with bellows where necessary to focus, and the lecturer had produced some delightful soft focus and other optical effects. I had a go myself afterwards, it's interesting and productive, and it is, of course, possible to get a good idea of the finished results as the shot is set up.
    Probably the only extra in Lomography is the use of various outdated and special films, but even these further effects can be added in printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ben,
    The various "lomo" cameras are a lot of fun. I've been using Dianas/Holgas, off and on, for over 30 years. They have few controls, can be erratic, but give a unique look to images. There are a lot of people who will belittle their use, but they can produce art.
    That being said, it seems like you're new to film. I think you'd be better served by getting complete control over your technique with your SLR before venturing into the world of "lomo".
    This was done with a Diana, toned in sepia then gold:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hirschfield_Tree1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	521.4 KB 
ID:	71132

Shooter
    Large Format
    get a lensbaby lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before you go and muck up a perfectly good filter or lens, try a piece of food wrap, (Glad wrap, Saran wrap or whatever it is called in your locale). You can fix it with a rubber band.
    Once in position you can 'modify' your Saran filter in many ways in order to deliberately degrade the image ala Lomo style. Once you have finished you can remove it in a second without any cleanup of your lend or good filter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    don't forget to shoot late in the day, facing the sun, for some lens flare!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks a lot for your feedback guys as well as the example picture. I know I just got the SLR and just focus on it but it's a bad (or maybe good?) side of my personality that when I get into something new I want to know EVERYTHING. And it sometimes slows me down.

I was also wondering why do they sell those lomo cams for like 300 dollars when you can use that money to get an entry level dSLR or a Nikon F or something like that. Especially since you can find other lomo cameras on eBay for 10 dollars, even though I doubt that they work or something.

Also what is a Pinhole camera ? Is the Vivitar shown above a Pinhole camera ? If I understood correctly there are Pinhole lenses for Nikons like mine ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thoroughly enjoy using my Holga. It's a wonderful piece of crap. It came with a roll of black electric tape to fix the light leaks and the instruction manual even referred to it as a 'piece of crap'. I love it. It sets me free from the anorak, turgid, cerebral and constipated tendencies of 'serious' photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I thoroughly enjoy using my Holga. It's a wonderful piece of crap. It came with a roll of black electric tape to fix the light leaks and the instruction manual even referred to it as a 'piece of crap'. I love it. It sets me free from the anorak, turgid, cerebral and constipated tendencies of 'serious' photography.
    A great attitude! It's natural for us to want to do our "serious" photography to the best of our abilities, but we can easily forget that, for most of us, it's a hobby and, as such, should be fun and relaxing. We get enough unavoidable grief and stress from our jobs or businesses!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You mentioned in your other thread that you are a beginner. If this is your first time with film, you may come up with some mild "Lomo" results simply as part of the learning process.
    Truzi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin