Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,634   Online: 946

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Lomo style effects based on the camera or the film ? Possible with any 35mm camera ?

Hello everyone,

Some of you might have seen my other post going on about my new and first SLR camera, the Nikon FM-10. I am hugely thrilled with this new purchase and hopefully will shoot a lot of keepers ^^.

Anyway, besides all the great possibilities that I have now compared to my other digital compact camera, I was very curious about those effects and cameras that are called Lomo. I wanted to know, are those effects doable with any 35mm camera, including mine or is it based on the camera, how it is built etc ? Or maybe it is the film ?

Thanks a lot for your insights !

All the best,

Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take your FM10 and hit it with a hammer, including the front element of whatever lens you like least.
    Keep doing this until you reach the point where the camera only just still takes photographs.

Instant Nikon-LOMO ...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Degrading an image is more easy than upgrading.

The advantage you got is that you have a SLR and thus can actually see what an optic does.
    Well, you might start putting your finger to your nose and then touch the lens once with it. You might try it at different positions. If you got a clear (UV) filter for your camera, do it on that filter; spares your lens when cleaning again.

Next, take off your lens, learn from the manual how to use your camera in so called stepped down mode and get yourself another lens or a single lens element or whatever from ther fleamarket or so and play around with that and your camera. Try not to bring that optic into your camera otherwise you might spoil that mirror. Cover the gap between that lens and your camera with some textile or so. If you found a combination that attracts you, you also might try to fix it with tape and black cardboard.
    Last edited by AgX; 07-04-2013 at 03:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It's always fun to buy real old slide film and process it in color negative chemistry (C-41). Something like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujichrome-V...item41740bf668
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Would be good to define what effects you desire.
    Heavy vignetting?
    Reasonable sharpness on center falling off to mush at edge?
    Overall hazy dreamy look?

Some effects can be had by smearing vaseline thinly on a 1A or UV filter.

Holga has their 60mm f8 plastic lens mounted for Nikon, I think they are about $25 online but I'm not sure where.
    Last edited by pen s; 07-04-2013 at 03:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There's always a pinhole lenscap type lens for Nikon mount...
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Take your FM10 and hit it with a hammer, including the front element of whatever lens you like least.
    Keep doing this until you reach the point where the camera only just still takes photographs..
    ditto

Lomo managed to profit from selling shoddy cameras and other products and created a dilettanti who confuse this with art.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use a $0.50 plastic P&S that gives stellar images too....food for thought OP...something like a Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim is great too:
    Andy

Shooter
    Large Format
    IMHO Lomo type photography is more about having fun with the camera and knowing that the images may not always turn out the same or what you expect. The Nikon is about taking good pictures. The holga lens or a pinhole will give you something similar but not exactly like what a Lomo will give you.

I use two Holgas and a Diana and the results are totally different from what the P&S camera you can buy at a dollar store, different tools for different results. There are some on this forum who really sneer at anyone using a Lomo style camera so if Lomo or Holga images interest you ignore those posters. They are over priced but they do produce art is used for that purpose and can be lots of fun. If this is the type of images you want to create the Nikon may not be for you. On the other hand one can use one camera for the lomo look and the fun of using it and have one (or many) "serious" cameras for higher quality. Michael Kenna has stated that he has thrown a Holga into his camera bag for fun and I think he knows what is photographic art.

Which ever way you go have fun and enjoy your images.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I should have added that I generally perfer the images from my LF or Hasselblad but not all scenes or moods are the same

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin