Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,831   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Keeping a soft release button on?

I have some small screw in soft release buttons. They are the super small ones not the big concave chrome buttons. They keep coming off. Is there a trick to getting them to stay on?

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the past I have used thread lock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    In the past I have used thread lock.
    One brand name is Loctite. This should keep the release in place but still allow you to remove it should you ever want to.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A light coat of clear fingernail polish on the threads. Your Wife of Girlfriend probably has some.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you use Loctite, use the non-hardening type. Apply it to the male threads on the soft release and let it dry first. And do not use it if your shutter button is plastic, as some are.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    BLUE loctite, NOT red...
    Red needs heat to come undone

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A trick from the 'old days', Linseed oil.
    Linseed oil will with time become sticky and act as a thread locking compound,
    If it was me I might say away from Locotite type products, the torque required to remove the fastener may be greater than the strength of the internal parts. Loctite idea of small is anything less than two inches in diameter. Larger than most camera screws.
    Fingernail polish is perhaps the easiest of what you may have around the house.
    And if you do not have fingernail polish go out tonight and introduce yourself to the suitable young lady and ask for her help, who know where that could go for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    A light coat of clear fingernail polish on the threads. Your Wife of Girlfriend probably has some.
    +1.

I'd avoid Loctite.

Before Loctite was available boiled linseed oil was used to vibrationproof screws. I'd avoid this too.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you considered welding it? I'm kidding. I second the others and recommend something fairly easy to break the bond on later.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    Using the same method for years and so far so good. Not that difficult to remove too. A firm twist and the shutter release is out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin