Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,385   Online: 1152

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yep, it definitely needs an overhaul. If the cosmetic condition of the camera isn't great, you might consider finding a better condition body, maybe with a high serial number (18xxxxx-20xxxxx), since an overhaul ran me $210 with tax on a previous F3.

I may be going through that with one of my currently-owned F3's as well. Receiving an F3P that the owner says is dead. Could be something minor, or something major. At least the body isn't terrible looking, however the MD-4 is definitely KEH UG grade.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It would be far cheaper and a lot less aggravation and risk if you sold yours w/ an accurate description, then took that money and a little more and bought another one w/ a guarantee, or at least a return privilege.

Shooter
    35mm
    Check with a different lens?
    If the camera cannot stop down the lens (due to sticky diaphragm) it may interrupt the shutter cycle
    Had that happen with a Yashica FX3, where the mirror would hang

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://nikonf3.com/NikonF3User.pdf

You'll notice the MLU lever is oriented around the DOF button. Possibly related, but right below that is the mechanical release lever (which sure sounds pretty suspect here). Are you hitting the mechanical release lever and *not* the DOF preview? The DOF preview is just a silver button you press in to stop down the iris blades mechanically.

Have you tried actuating the backup shutter while at the same time exercising the DOF preview button while the manual shutter is still depressed?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the advice, all. I've stopped playing with the damned thing and it's now loaded back up with Velvia ready to go. Everything works as it should except for the problem I mentioned (and yes, I do know the difference between the DOF button and the mechanical shutter release lever).

I'll probably get it overhauled when finances allow, as it was essentially unused when it came to me--it's a beautiful late model, the paint is pristine, and the original foam is even still good.

Right now I'm saving up for a replacement F2 body; I sold mine for parts to Sover after the shutter was destroyed in a bizarre accident.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Bizarre accident" Now that could be an interesting story!
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The DoF preview and the mechanical release are both parts of the mechanical mirror mechanism, so something probably needs to be fixed in there; the mechanical release is just a cam with a lever that trips the mirror and then fires the shutter at one mechanically governed speed; the DoF preview lever/lockup is also linked to the main mirror lever, so perhaps something is amiss with the actuating levers.

My concern would be that it is firing at 1/60 all the time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
    My concern would be that it is firing at 1/60 all the time.
    That is something to consider. Casual testing of the electronic shutter speeds indicate that they are still accurate, but I will definitely keep my ears open. Ideally, I'd run a test roll of film through and get it developed ASAP. I'm between jobs right now so my queue of exposed film waiting for development is getting quite long.

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    "Bizarre accident" Now that could be an interesting story!
    Oh, man. Maybe it's another thread for a another day, but Sover and I emailed each other back and forth for days trying to figure out what happened to my F2. Our tentative hypothesis is that I rewound the film improperly using an MD-1, which tore the film in half. One of the broken ends of the film somehow got trapped in between the two shutter curtains, and I mangled them both when I removed the film in the dark. Amazingly, the shutter still fired and was accurate to within 1/4 of a stop even though the curtains looked like crumpled tin foil!

Shooter
    35mm
    Crumpled titanium foil ::cringe::

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin