Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,893   Online: 1021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

F3 DOF Button is Tripping the Shutter

My Nikon F3 recently decided it was going to start taking a picture whenever I press the depth-of-field preview button. It does this with or without a battery installed in the body, which makes me think that the DOF button has somehow gotten tangled up with the back-up shutter release? The camera seems to be functioning fine otherwise. Anyone else with this problem?

Shooter
    35mm
    I've owned my Nikon F3HP since 1983 and never had (or even heard about) a problem like this. It seems very strange, I thought the depth-of-field button was purely a mechanical connection to shut down the lens aperture, or raise the mirror...?

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCee View Post
    I've owned my Nikon F3HP since 1983 and never had (or even heard about) a problem like this. It seems very strange, I thought the depth-of-field button was purely a mechanical connection to shut down the lens aperture, or raise the mirror...?
    Me, too. Me, neither. Me, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never heard of this happening either. Does it happen with all lenses or just one specific lens? If you haven't already, try taking off the lens, opening the back (remove the film first of course), and pressing the DOF button while watching the shutter to see if it is firing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you sure your you know what buttons do what functions? I don't know how it would be possible do what you stated, of course, that does not mean it cannot happen, just a surprise to an F3 user.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a new one on me!

It does sound as if it is somehow tripping the back-up release somehow.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I had the same thing happen on an F2A that I owned in 2010. Happened twice, after trying out a 7.5/5.6 fisheye-Nikkor with the mirror locked up. After that episode, it worked fine. I've also had a couple junker Nikkormat FT series bodies do that. Except, with those bodies, you'd depress the shutter release, hear a slight click, then nothing else. Depress the DOF button, and the camera fires.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    I had the same thing happen on an F2A that I owned in 2010. Happened twice, after trying out a 7.5/5.6 fisheye-Nikkor with the mirror locked up. After that episode, it worked fine. I've also had a couple junker Nikkormat FT series bodies do that. Except, with those bodies, you'd depress the shutter release, hear a slight click, then nothing else. Depress the DOF button, and the camera fires.

-J
    I can understand the case when you press the shutter release and nothing happens and then you push the DOF the shutter released. That's because the camera is sticky, the shutter release started the cycle but could not complete. Pushing the DOF helps it going.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I've never heard of this happening either. Does it happen with all lenses or just one specific lens? If you haven't already, try taking off the lens, opening the back (remove the film first of course), and pressing the DOF button while watching the shutter to see if it is firing.
    It happens with all the lenses I've tried, and it does it without a lens. The shutter fires and the mirror lifts, just as it does when the mechanical shutter lever is pulled.

I happen to know this body was stored improperly for 10+ years; it sat in a cardboard box with the shutter cocked, battery installed, no body cap, no anti-desiccant, no exercise of the shutter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    ... this body was stored improperly for 10+ years; it sat in a cardboard box with the shutter cocked, battery installed, no body cap, no anti-desiccant, no exercise of the shutter.
    Given that information, and the observed weird behavior, I'd say get it CLA'd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin