Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,154   Online: 871

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    \Aahh yes.. the durabilty of real camera. If that would of been a digital camera, would cost a fortune for repair work.

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    \Aahh yes.. the durabilty of real camera. If that would of been a digital camera, would cost a fortune for repair work.

Todd
    Durability??? The camera's trashed, there's a good chance the lens is too. How is that "durable"?

No camera and lens can go through an event like this without sustaining some damage/misalignment, anyone who thinks otherwise is indulging in fantasy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My bad.. I thought he said it was ok?

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My bad.. I thought he said it was ok?

Todd
    "...the camera now fucusses past infinity" which means it's unuseable.
    Todd, the camera sustained enough damage that the lens with the mount still attached was separated from the camera. There's a high probability that the lens is now internally misaligned, and who knows what else is wrong with the body.
    This is why I won't get any gear with any sign of impact damage, not even a dented filter ring - actually especially a dented filter ring, even if it appears to be OK. There are too many things that can be lurking.

Shooter
    35mm

F3 story

Before heading out with my wife in her Jeep, I opened up the back, saw her fleece, and wrapped my F3 in it so it wouldn't get bounced around.

She wanted to wear the fleece. As I was doing something else, she opened the back of the Jeep, grabbed part of her fleece, pulled it out of the Jeep, and dumped my F3 from a height of 2 ft onto the driveway.

After a moment of panic, I realized it had landed on a bottom corner, and that everything was working normally. Lens wasn't even scratched. I had to look hard to even even see the scratch on the body.

It's my "beater" F3 anyway, I have two more in nicer condition :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks EVH for the clarification.. That is sad. Must admit, I skimmed over his posting and saw the word OK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Nikon F2 - they don't call it the tank for no reason.
    Yes, that's safer than a Canon F-1n because the F-1n would have damaged the pavement.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've got a Piper Cub RC plane hanging from my ceiling. A few years ago the nitro engine went dead after takeoff. The plane was smashed into absolute smithereens. I mean particles. Determined not to let that be the end of it, I rebuilt it. It's still holding up. There's a good bit of wood holding all that glue together.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks EVH for the clarification.. That is sad. Must admit, I skimmed over his posting and saw the word OK.
    Once when I was working on a camera I mixed up the shims which ensure that the lens mounting flange is the corrrect distance from and parralel to the filmplane. Here's what I did: The flange is mounted on a diecast plate which is fastened to the main body casting by four screws. The shims went between this plate and the main casting.
    I set the body (with the back removed) on a granite surface plate, supported by .5000" gauge blocks on the film rails. Using a .0001" resolution dial indicator set to zero at the flange distance + .5000, I shimmed the front plate until it was parralel to and the correct distance from the filmplane, taking the time to rub the shims on a stone until the flange was spot on, within the ability of my measuring tools - say within .000020".
    Then, I put a groundglass at the filmplane and adjusted the focussing screen until the focus at the filmplane matched the focus in the viewfinder, using a viewfinder magnifier.

My point here is, once a camera becomes misaligned it's no small job to put it right - and one needs special tools; I did this in the gauge room of a machineshop which I am very lucky to have access to, using tens of thousands of dollars worth of tools and equipment which most people don't have access to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    "...the camera now fucusses past infinity" which means it's unuseable.
    Not too sure about this one. If I can get the image nicely focused on the ground glass, won't it be in focus on the film plane ? After all my view camera focuses past infinity and is very usable.
    Then it's only a question of film advance and shutter speed, which both seem unaffected.
    Last edited by AOCo; 07-08-2013 at 05:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin