Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,051   Online: 884

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yesterday I squashed my camera ...

... and now I know why I must not buy an expensive leica...

Yesterday afternoon, I suppose the heat has really taken its toll on my overall awareness. I was stepping back to take a wide angle shot of a building, and I stepped into the void of a flight of steps. I completely lost my balance, was getting ready to feel myself hurting, when I heard the sound of my Pentax SV (+ mint SMC Takumar 3.5/24 Takumar) hitting the pavement.

I have not suffered any injury luckily, but my camera was badly affected : the lens mount was ripped off, still attached to the lens. The top plate now had a big bump in the corner (not the first one, mind you), and was bent to the extent of preventing the back to open, and raising the prism housing, leaving some space underneath. Lens itself only suffered a filter ring being bent, the glass seems not impacted.

Dammit, can't I just pay attention ? I was mad at myself, and so sorry, since I thought this must be the end of a 50 years old camera.

Anyway, later in the day I managed to dismount the front part of the camera, and eventually fix most of the damage ! These cameras are just plain incredible ! I have noticed that the camera now focuses pas infinity, although there is no sign of the lens mount being pushed in. This I hope will not affect pictures.

I will keep this as my battlefield camera, I guess. Pentax made such amazing products by then... Unbelievable.
    Last edited by AOCo; 07-08-2013 at 08:50 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Buy another body and keep this one for telling stories. If your interest is taking photos, get a reliable camera. A Spotmatic isn't rare or expensive, so replace it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F2 - they don't call it the tank for no reason.
    Last edited by darkosaric; 07-08-2013 at 09:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually go farther than I need too then move forward for final composition. Mainly because I had few close misses and would hate to break a leg over a photo.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If the lens is optically and mechanically OK, then by all means, keep shooting!
    I agree with elekm, replace the body.
    They are very inexpensive and not worth spending a lot of time and/or money to repair it.
    Your lens is worth 5X to 10X the price of a body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yeah, an F2 or Leicaflex SL would have dented the floor....i agree with the others, glad you were not hurt, find another body and proceed. It will set you back maybe $30, max.

Shooter
    35mm
    F2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you stick with that lens test it for focusing accuracy before photographing something important. Several years ago a friend had me photograph his visiting family with his camera and all the photographs were out of focus even though I carefully composed and focused each frame with the camera on a tripod. He happened to be an ophthalmologist and suggested that I make an appointment to have my eyes checked. They were fine and he happened to remember having dropped the lens but it showed no damage. He sent it back to Nikon and they found a lens element had shifted.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look up KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, get another SLR. The digital onslaught has made for some real bargains. If you have a lot of m42 mount glass a clean Spotmatic is reasonable. Just this April I picked up a near perfect Fujica ST605n body for $20, all it needed was foam replacement. A SLR where the screen focus does not agree with the film plane focus is useless, hope your 24mm f3.5 Takumar survived. It would be very expensive to replace.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin