Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,304   Online: 894

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pentax K1000

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Now that's good stuff right there!

Here's one of mine (K1000 + Vivitar 75-205 f/3.8 zoom):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12892001@N02/9127396473/

Unfortunately, I don't have a print or the negs anymore...just a faded copy of my college paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oooh. Sweet.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Great action shots pb.

Concerning the 50 F2, I've got the M model and it is a nice lens, but I also picked up a Ricoh 50 F1.7 after re-reading a Popular Photography test done years ago and it beats it by a little in resolution. Still have to figure out which has the best bokeh tho.

I've always loved the clack of the K1K shutter. Just appeals to me more then other cameras.

Here's a shot on the 4th with a 135mm F3.5 at F4 on Ektar. Held the shutter open on B and used the lens cap as a shutter to record multiple fireworks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FW2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	71833
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wayne, thanks for the great fireworks idea. I never thought of doing it that way and it looks great. Now if only we can get enough rain in Colorado some summer so they actually allow fireworks...
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Pioneer, I dispute your quote: "First, a deteriorating mirror bumper will change your focus point."

Pioneer, the 'focus point' as it appears in the VF is determined solely by the height that the front edge of the mirror is at when resting on the (in the case of the K1000) wire bracket (front, right, just under mirror's front, right edge). The 'deteriorating mirror bumper' (the foam that the mirror hits when an exposure is being made) is necessary to soften the mirror's impact and also disallow light from possibly fogging the film during exposure. But it has NOTHING to do with matching the apparent focus (VF) with actual focus (film plane). Of course, a deteriorating foam can cause a mess and can cause the mirror to annoyingly remain at the top for a few seconds due to stickiness.

In fact, I have, in the past, recommended that one should test this matching of 'apparent' (VF) and 'actual' (film plane) focus so that one can shoot wide open without focus worries. Do this: WIDE OPEN WITH A NORMAL OR LONG LENS, shoot a 'picket fence' type of object, 45 degrees from the camera, and focus PRECISELY at a determined point. Then process the negative and place it into your enlarger. (NOTE: it helps to slightly underexpose the negative so that the image from the enlarger will be bright and clear). Then determine where the ACTUAL focus is. Rule of thumb: IF ACTUAL FOCUS IS IN FRONT OF THE APPARENT FOCUS, lower front of mirror very, very slightly. IF ACTUAL FOCUS IS IN BACK OF THE APPARENT FOCUS, raise front of mirror very, very slightly. On the K1000 a very slight pressure on the metal bracket will do the trick. Some cameras are a bit more sophisticated like the Fuji ST series and, amazingly, the Soviet Zenit (!): they both have a set screw that the front of the mirror rests upon so simply turning it with a screwdriver is all that is needed.

Love the K1000 but despise its lack of self-timer. Mistake by Pentax. - David Lyga.
    Thanks David, I should have said "could" instead of "will". In my case it did have an effect on the focus point, evidently because something lodged where the mirror normally rests. My own experience is probably out of the ordinary.

As for a self timer, this was certainly a cost cutting measure since the self timer did increase the cost of the camera. I'm not sure it was a mistake as it certainly did not seem to prevent the camera from selling quite well for a very long time. Of course if a self timer was important then the somewhat under-rated KM could be had for slightly more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I do consider the lack of self-timer to be a mistake. Despite the increased cost, it would have been minimal.

And, yes, that focus point is determined ONLY when the mirror is at rest. Just try putting a tiny thin object, like the thickness of postcard paper, between the lower edge of the mirror and that metal piece that supports the front of the mirror and you will see what I mean when you try to focus. That mirror height is absolutely critical to forward accurate information into the viewfinder. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Yes, I do consider the lack of self-timer to be a mistake. Despite the increased cost, it would have been minimal.

<<< SNIPPED >>> - David Lyga
    Not a mistake, but Pentax's decision to market a stripped-down lowest price unit to introduce beginners to the Pentax line. While I don't know Pentax's price structure, the addition of DOF preview and ST to the K1000 turns it into a KM, which differed in price by more than a minimal amount from the K1000.

The K1000 sold as well as it did for as long as it did on it's builder's reputation and recommendations of numerous old-line photography course instructors.

There certainly were competitively-priced cameras with more features available during the production run of the K1000, but I doubt any could match its well-deserved reputation for reliability [I have no doubt that most of the K1000s in use today have never had so much as a CLA, and have had multiple owners]. Ricoh's KR-5 series comes to mind as a K-mount K1000 alternative: no DOF preview or self-timer [although the KR-5 III sported both], and a vertical-blind shutter providing 1/125 sec. X-sync, but I think Ricoh cameras in general had film transport mechanism weaknesses. The various Cosina-built mechanical shutter units that wear Ricoh, Olympus, Yashica, Nikon and Vivitar nameplates are proving to be reliable units; several have been provisioned with DOF preview and/or self-timer with mirror-up [the Olympus OM2000 even has a true spot meter], and all have 1/125 sec. X-sync.

Thanks and regards,
    Vince

Shooter
    35mm
    What's the big deal about not having a self timer? Just pick up one of these mechanical self timers if you need one . . .

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    What's the big deal about not having a self timer? Just pick up one of these mechanical self timers if you need one . . .

THAT IS AWESOME! Now to scour the internets to find one.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    THAT IS AWESOME!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin