Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,610   Online: 1056

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pentax K1000

Shooter
    35mm
    Keep an eye out for this Hansa Self Timer as it is, The Most Advanced "Self Timer" in Photographic History! I am not sure why they put quotes on self timer . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    What's the big deal about not having a self timer? Just pick up one of these mechanical self timers if you need one . . .

I have 3 different styles of these timers and they are very handy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Watch that the mechanical timer you buy has sufficient length to press that shutter button. The length is detachable so test it first. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Both of mine are adjustable for the length needed to trip the shutter. I thought all of those were

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can only agree with everybody else what a good camera the K1000 is.

I started with Pentax, and quickly picked up a K1000. Then I got the medium format bug, and then the 4x5 bug, and then the 5x7. Then I thought I would find nirvana with a Hasselblad and a Leica M2. While I love my Hassie and Leica, today I'm using mostly two Pentax KX cameras, which is basically a K1000 with depth of field preview.

The Pentax SLRs are fantastic machines, and don't let anybody fool you into believing there are better lenses out there; the Pentax prime lenses are exceptional pieces of glass that deliver every time. Congratulations!

The only thing I can fault the K1000 with is the cable release socket. If you are an individual of above average strength, you may twist the cable release too hard when you attach it, and the release button comes loose. That happened to me once, and was a bit of a pain to fix. That's the only negative thing I've found about it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for your encouraging remarks about the Pentax. Due to my busy schedule, I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Its all ready with new seals and all. I need a field day to take it out and same goes for my Yashica Electro 35G.

Oh, I did pick up a red and yellow filter with an orange on order from my local camera shop yesterday. It'll be fun to experiment with them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, T Bertilsson, back in the 70s and 80s there were 'unofficial' (underground) assertions that the lens hierarchy (in descending order) was to be duly disseminated as follows: Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Minolta, Yashica... The assumption was that Yashica, Minolta and Pentax, although decent, were not up to the level of Nikon or Canon. After decades of my testing I can say without qualification that Minolta, Pentax, or Yashica will match a Nikon every time. Maybe in some esoteric glass this might not be true, but with standard lenses it is honestly hard to find other than stunning glass with the major brands of Japan.

The K1000 success is due to the absolute simplicity of engineering along with tested materials: (the Spotmatic and H series were noble proving grounds for its debut). The K1000 took stunning photographs without frills. The mechanical Canons were flawed in the respect of 'over-engineering' and, although excellent, were more prone to breaking than the K1000. I like to compare the K1000 and Spotmatic with the Minolta SRT series. Both really excellent as far as construction goes, simple, dependable construction, but, like everything else, overworked excellence can cause the best to fail. Don't buy one with too much 'mileage'.

zackesch: The lens on your Yashica will be bad ONLY if YOU are bad (i.e., shaking while shooting, lack of focus precision). But do us a favor: before you spend a day 'in the field' shooting, do a clip test to make absolutely sure that everything is OK. (You will thank us for that prescient thought.)

micwag2: (RE: mechanical timers): Yes, I know that they are all adjustable but I meant to be sure that all the parts are there: part of the shaft can be removed. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 07-27-2013 at 08:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    the meter should be good with any battery type I use the cheap Ch alkaline cells when I fit a battery

there is a battery off switch but it is electronic if the camera is in the dark a semi conductor isolates the battery but light leaking into the eyepiece will leave the meter operational the scheme assumed use of an ERC or gbag.

if you put the camera away remove the battery anyway.

the brick shop price seems to be inflating...
    I had a problem in the field with low light, not enough light to activate the meter, solved it by "flickin a BIC" in front of the lens, the meter would come on and stay on for approx 15 seconds, had already composed so just had to push the button.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have many cameras, but I often find myself picking up one of the K1000'. I definitely agree on the quality of the glass.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin