Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 797

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon AF lens problems

I've used Nikon manual focus lenses for many years and have always been happy with both performance and mechanical reliability. I cannot say the same for some of their AFD lenses though. My main gripe at the moment is with the 35mm f2 AFD. Oil has leaked onto the diaphram blades for the third time since new, and it always occurs just outside the guarantee period for the last repair. This causes a sluggish diaphragm and gross overexposure.

Having just put this into repair at Nikon and pointed out previous repairs for the same fault, I would have thought they would have taken this into consideration when estimating the charge, apparently not so. If I go ahead with this repair then I will have spent more on repairs than the lens cost new.

My previous 35mm f2 Nikon manual A1 lens went through 20 years of hard professional usage and despite its slightly battered appearance, works as sweetly as ever.

Do customer relations count for anything anymore?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From my understanding of the 35mm f2D, there were early ones that had oil issues. Not sure where the cut off is, though.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have little tolerance for such matters. Third time to get it right? My clientele would go elsewhere. I'd raise holy hell with Nikon, beginning with letters and copies of receipts to a few honchos at Nikon USA in Melville, NY and demand a replacement. Some of Nikon's repair practices are repugnant. Seems they're often most concerned about getting the item back out the door and back to the owner with repair-quality taking a back-seat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    From my understanding of the 35mm f2D, there were early ones that had oil issues. Not sure where the cut off is, though.
    Mine was purchased new in 2009, so I don't know if this constitutes an "early" version. I will get back to Nikon on this, if they're not prepared to cut the repair price, then I will be inclined to ditch the AF stuff and rely on my old FM's and FM2's and s/h manual lenses, which I'm coming to regard as being more reliable than their (sometimes) very "plasticky" feeling new autofocus lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought mine new before before 2009, but I havn't used it much. I don't have this issue. Hope you can get this resolved.

Added: I've heard, also, that the way the lens is stored can produce oily blades. How are you storing?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've got one but no issues with oil and it sits alot. Did crack the end ring tho.
    I'm surprised that the new grease actually migrated onto the blades. Was it in a 150 degree trunk?

Overall while there are complaints about every brand, Nikon seems to alienate it's customers just
    a-little-bit-more so I don't know how far your going to go there with a letter. Best just to mention your problem and tell them your buying Canon from now on. That pissed Honda off big time when I complained.

Meanwhile I had a Canon flash that was probably 10 years out of date and had a bad foot and I inquired about a new one and they sent it to me for free. A two bit part and tons of good will. Somebody figured it out.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    I bought mine new before before 2009, but I havn't used it much. I don't have this issue. Hope you can get this resolved.

Added: I've heard, also, that the way the lens is stored can produce oily blades. How are you storing?

As the 35mm is one of my most used lenses, much of the time it stays inside my Billingham camera bag. At other times on the shelf of my "lens cupboard"......Here in London the climate is moderate so I don't think this has to do with the problem. Other lenses both 6x6 and 35mm have not suffered this problem, although stored in the same place.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've heard that storing this lens with the front element upwards can cause oil issues. =/ Of course because it's on the internet, it's got to be true! Bonjour

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure I would send something out of warranty to Nikon service, they don't have a stellar reputation; it's stuff like this... I don't think Nikon USA really cares about their service department right now, & with their decision to monopolize repair parts, I can't see this being a great situation for the Nikon user.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
    I'm not sure I would send something out of warranty to Nikon service, they don't have a stellar reputation; it's stuff like this... I don't think Nikon USA really cares about their service department right now, & with their decision to monopolize repair parts, I can't see this being a great situation for the Nikon user.
    Interesting you should mention this. Here in London, back in the film days, you used to be able to go up to the repair reception at Nikon, and talk to a technician about any problems. If it was something minor, they would fix it on the spot, often with no charge......Not any more, it's all become "corporate". You don't get past the main reception desk, where you fill in a form and a smart young female comes to collect your gear and take it to the servicing area.

Leica could yet gain another enthusiast here.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin